Barrel Twist, Elevation and Bullet Size/Length????

COBigJohn

I've seen several posts where elevation is referenced regarding barrel twist and stabilizing long, heavy bullets.

My recreation shooting will be slightly above 5,000 feet elevation and my hunting will be 7,000-9,000 feet elevation.

I haven't found a Barrel Twist Calculator where elevation is considered. Is there any general wisdom or simple Math that would allow me to estimate whether a bullet might work in my 9.5" twist, 7mm Mag?

And I really don't want to pay $50-$70 for a box of bullet that end up paper weights.

I would love.... my gun to love the Hornady 7mm .284 180 gr ELD® Match, but Hornady suggests an 8" twist. Just wonder if there is a chance the bullet will work with 9.5" at 5k elevation.

And yes, I am aware that I'm going to have to shoot them before I really know.

Includes an altitude input.
At 5000 elevation with a muzzle vel of 2900 ft/sec your SG is appx 1.55 which should be great.

Last edited:
Elevation is only going to really matter when you're on the edge of getting either minimum stability or getting the full Sg 1.5 so you don't compromise the BC value. You can generally ignore it.

At 5000 elevation with a muzzle vel of 2900 ft/sec your SG is appx 1.55 which should be great.

Thank you for the URL......

I found this website, listing bullet length.....

^^^This!^^^