Barrel Set back advice

magedon44

I have a 300 win mag with a 25 inch Hart barrel on a squared up 700 action with around 1000 rounds down the pipe. Ive been noticing a decrease in accuracy and so a gun smith took the bore scope to the throat. He said i have some erroding going on about 1/8 inch and he suggested setting the barrel back a turn or two and rechambering. He said this would be good for about 600 rounds.

A few questions, He if does this and uses a different reamer than was origionally used will there be any isses? Will i need to do a barrel break in process? and would he have to rebed the rifle agian? Ive never been down this road so i wanted to ask some of you that have. Thanks fellas!

There can be a issue if the neck dimension are different. I don't really brake in barrels anymore so I'd say no to a break in. It's wasted ammo and cleaning. If the barrel is bedded, it shouldn't be, then it might have to be dealt with.

Ask him about the reamer's specs.

You might not have to rebed it. The setback should float the barrel. I would try it that way. You may have to tweak the load but try the original load first.

I asked this very question regarding my very worn 6mm-284:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/barrel-setback-rechamber-question-164078/

You decide which is a better path. IMO unless the work to be done is fairly inexpensive it might be better to install a new barrel at this time.

Ask him about the reamer's specs.

You might not have to rebed it. The setback should float the barrel. I would try it that way. You may have to tweak the load but try the original load first.

I asked this very question regarding my very worn 6mm-284:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/barrel-setback-rechamber-question-164078/

You decide which is a better path. IMO unless the work to be done is fairly inexpensive it might be better to install a new barrel at this time.

All very good advice. +++

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.