Barrel Reinstall

mikemo4032

A couple of weeks ago I found my proof barrel had worked it's way loose from my Defiance action in 6gt caliber. It took me about 30 rounds and several trip to the range to find the the loose barrel because it started out so very subtle. I've checked the threads and the fit and it looks and feels like I think it should. I've reinstalled the barrel with temp resistant antiseize to 70lbs. It was properly headspaced by a smith on initial install. I checked using a fired case for the go and the same case with blue tape for the no go. It gave me the result I expected. Do I need to do anything else?

I brought a model 70 at a gun show with Custom barrel.stamped 6. 47 lapua got dies necked down 6.5 47 lapua brass loaded some rounds the barrel was also loose hand tighten it went and shot it then after firing it I found it was rechambered to 243 win it just fire form the case almost to 243 I would just shot it and see what happens

A couple of weeks ago I found my proof barrel had worked it's way loose from my Defiance action in 6gt caliber. It took me about 30 rounds and several trip to the range to find the the loose barrel because it started out so very subtle. I've checked the threads and the fit and it looks and feels like I think it should. I've reinstalled the barrel with temp resistant antiseize to 70lbs. It was properly headspaced by a smith on initial install. I checked using a fired case for the go and the same case with blue tape for the no go. It gave me the result I expected. Do I need to do anything else?

You will be fine, 70ftlbs is more than adequate. Factory barrels are torqued on by lawyers expecting the worst. there are lots of guys shooting custom switch barrel rigs that just hand tighten the barrels and have phenomenal accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.