Help with pre64 Win Model 70 bolt reinstall

localdirt

I found my way to LRH a few weeks ago doing research for a project and have gotten a lot of great information here.

I recently purchased a pre64 Winchester Model 70 (1961, best I can tell) and just picked up the rifle today. It came to my FFL with the bolt removed, probably removed for shipping.

After inspecting the rest of the rifle, I went to reinstall the bolt and had it stopping midway into the action. After checking the manual, I see that the bolt cannot be reinstalled with the firing pin cocking indicator in the "uncocked" position and the safety in the "fire/off" setting, which is how I received it.

I tried rotating the back of the bolt clockwise to engage the sleeve lock in the bolt notch, as mentioned elsewhere, but am not having any luck.

I'm hoping there are a couple Model 70 guys that can shed some light. Appreciate any help!

The bolt has to be cocked and the safety in the safe or fire position. You or any competent smith can re-cock the bolt if there is no damage. How did it get un-cocked I wonder...bouncing around during shipping? If you have the manual it should explain how to disassemble the bolt or look at this.

I'm not a Smith but maybe one will post.

Here is a link if you want to search the year

Year of Manufacture information made available by Winchester Customer Service Dept. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,
Thanks for pitchin' in! I'll check that link out. Hopefully, there will be an avenue there I haven't already gone down.

This is my first time posting here, so I want to get the feel.

Always.. always glad to help. My personal expertise is somewhat dissimilar platforms.

Thanks to all and for all.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the video. That gentleman did a beautiful job of popping the bolt assembly apart quickly. (love the music). Mine is stuck.

Thank you, sir.

I'm including a few pics of the bolt, with the hope that someone will have gone through the same issue.

The first two pics were from the seller.

As can be seen in the second picture, the firing pin cocking indicator was at one point in the "cocked" position during the listing for sale and advertising period. I don't have any pics from the seller that shows the safety in the middle position.

I can depress the the sleeve lock, but cannot rotate the end of the bolt to disassemble and remove the firing pin.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.