Barrel length and twist rate

That was what I was trying to ask in my original question. So with that answer, barrel length does impact stability?
I don't know that it would. You would only see about a 200 fps increase in velocity, not enough to affect stability. It is much easier and more practical to increase the twist rate. Barrel length equals a small increase in velocity and down Range performance, twist rate equals increased stability.

When I was deciding on the twist for my 6br a few years ago I played alot with the calculators and RPM formula. Try them. Velocity will not change the SG of a bullet any significant amount. A bullet that is not stable in a 222 Rem will be the same in a 22/250.

There was a famous shooter Bob Munden that shot a target a hundred yards away with a snub nose 38 and was very accurate. 2" barrel bullet was already at its twist rate.

All I can tell you men is in 40 years of shooting rifles I have never met a 1/12 twist barrel that would stabilize a 250 grain 30 cal bullet no matter how long but change the twist rate to 1/8 and you can shoot it out of a 20" barrel. I can't say it any simpler than that.🤔🙂

Is rifling distance going to change the twist rate?
Once the bullet has contacted the first few inches of the barrel it's already at its twist rate.
I was under the same impression. In a 14 twist it would take 14" and so on but as @asd9055 posted the longer the barrel the faster the velocity and RPM and he's right. Someone smarter than I will have to jump in.

I agree with Coyote Shadow Tracker. Barrel length has nothing to do with bullet stability. It is all about getting the optimal twist rate. A 1/7 twist rate will stabilize just about any bullet. In a 20 in barrel it spins the bullet nearly 3 full revolutions before it leave the barrel. The problem with it is it can over spin lighter bullets to the point they explode upon leaving the barrel. You need to determine the optimum twist rate for the bullet range you want to shoot and that depends on the rifles intended purpose.
I didn't state that Barrel Length "Has nothing to do with bullet stability".
I did state that:
"It is not so much the barrel length opposed to the twist rate."
"Stabilization comes more from Twist Rate and not Velocity."

Len & Jill

Here's a question that occurred to me recently.

What effect does twist rate have on pressure? IE, If I shoot a 55 gr bullet out of Rem factory 22-250 with a 1-14" twist rate, and shoot the same round in a 1-8" twist rifle, am I going to run into excessive pressure earlier in the fast-twist round.

And related, how does accuracy generally compare? Any advantage of fast vs slow twist, assuming both twists stabilize the same bullet?

I don't understand "rifling distance"
My sugestion is, go to either JBM Ballistics or Berger, find the "Stability Factor" calculator and play with it. You will see what has the greater effect. Twist rate is huge effect.
When you have a given rifle, your twist rate is fixed. You lenth is fixed. You can play with bullet material, weight, design and velocity.
In my 22-250, 14 twist, I can only go to 55 grain bullets. If I had a faster twist I could shoot a heavier bullet.
Bullet length matters.
If you are at a critical point, velocity might help.
Playing with the calculator will help highlight the importance of different factors. And it costs nothing

Last edited:
Here's a question that occurred to me recently.

What effect does twist rate have on pressure? IE, If I shoot a 55 gr bullet out of Rem factory 22-250 with a 1-14" twist rate, and shoot the same round in a 1-8" twist rifle, am I going to run into excessive pressure earlier in the fast-twist round.

And related, how does accuracy generally compare? Any advantage of fast vs slow twist, assuming both twists stabilize the same bullet?
I played with this very concept on GRT and twist, according to this program, had no effect on pressure

Recent Posts