rate of twist

mooser

am building a new rifle. I want to rifle it to a specific bullet. What rate of twist would be best for 85 grain barnes bullets?

mooser- my hart 12 twist .243 shoots them very very well . it will not shoot the vld 95 so if you want to shoot heavier/ more versital get a faster twist . my 8 twist 6 br krieger shoot everything good.

You're gonna have to give us a little bit more my friend, for us to help you out on specifics...

6mm Remington? 6mm-284? .243 Win? 6mm-06?

The .244 Remington rifles came factory in a 1:12 twist, for lighter varmint bullets.

However, when Remington re-introduced the previously flopped caliber, as the 6mm Remington, they offered them in a 1:9 twist barrel, so they would be able to support all of the 6mm bullets available at the time. I believe you can shoot up to a Berger 105gr with the 1:9 twist.

I have a 6mmAI with a 1-12" twist (biggest mistake of my rifle related life).... It shoots 85grn Flat bases bullets in the .300's with boring regularity. Keep in mind, if you ever decide to change bullets, you're stuck. The Barnes are long for weight due to monometal construction, in all honesty, a 1-10 or 1-9 or 1-8 will probably shoot them just fine with confining yourself to lightweight bullets forever.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.