Barrel length and powder burn rate for 7 mag.

BillyGoatGruff

I'm fixing to do a re-barrel on my 7mag. I can get a 24" barrel right away. 4-6 month wait for a 26"

Question is, will 24" work with my current components ( I know I'll have to re-work it for the new barrel) Currently I run a 26" barrel with 175 gr LRAB w/67.7gr of H1000. Will the H1000 be too slow in a 24" barrel? I have a fair amount of H1000. Not much of any other powders. couple # of H4831sc and H4350. Regardless I plan to stay with the 175gr class bullets and would like to keep using H1000. Obviously if things were more normal I'd just get a different powder and start over.

Do I go with the 24" or should I order the 26" to work with the H1000 better?
Other powder recommendations for the 175gr class bullets that might work better than H1000?

Thanks,

I'm fixing to do a re-barrel on my 7mag. I can get a 24" barrel right away. 4-6 month wait for a 26"

Question is, will 24" work with my current components ( I know I'll have to re-work it for the new barrel) Currently I run a 26" barrel with 175 gr LRAB w/67.7gr of H1000. Will the H1000 be too slow in a 24" barrel? I have a fair amount of H1000. Not much of any other powders. couple # of H4831sc and H4350. Regardless I plan to stay with the 175gr class bullets and would like to keep using H1000. Obviously if things were more normal I'd just get a different powder and start over.

Do I go with the 24" or should I order the 26" to work with the H1000 better?
Other powder recommendations for the 175gr class bullets that might work better than H1000?

Thanks,
Just a quick question, whose barrel are you looking to put on it? I know that most can realistically be in that 6 month wait time, but you never know what might be lurking out there that is available today.

Just a quick question, whose barrel are you looking to put on it? I know that most can realistically be in that 6 month wait time, but you never know what might be lurking out there that is available today.
Looking to put a Bartlein carbon fiber in the #4 bull sporter contour on it. Ideally I'd like to stay with a 26" but I did find a 24" in stock. Hence my dilemma...

Whatever is fastest in a 26" will also be in a 24". Might breathe a little more fire. Velocity vs handling is usually the debate. The question becomes will the velocity loss in 2" actually affect your range and capabilities? Only you can answer.

I'm not sure what contour you want, but bugholes.com has several barrels from Brux, Bartlein, and Krieger in stock that finish at least 26". I personally would want a 26" barrel.

EDIT: Sorry I just saw your comment that you want a carbon Bartlein.

I will tell you this, a 24" barrel will still get the highest velocities with exactly the same powders as a 26" barrel will.
I ran a 24" barrel 300WM for years with H1000, RE25 and Retumbo with no problems.
50fps is neither here nor there.

Cheers.

Thank's for you replies.

Looks like 26" is the clear choice.

Any other powders that may work better with the 175gr pills than the H1000 I'm currently using?

Slightly different question but staying with the 7mag.
Anyone familiar with the +P throat that Defensive Edge does? I have a really good gunsmith local, but I'm tempted to send off to defensive edge for the +P throat that appears to be proprietary to them.
Opinions?

Thanks again!

Do you have any plans for a suppressor n the future? I say keep it short and use it as an excuse to go put a TBAC on the wait period.
I do have a can. Partially a reason for the re- barrel is to get something a little stiffer , but it's mostly because I want something different and want to try a carbon barrel

I will tell you this, a 24" barrel will still get the highest velocities with exactly the same powders as a 26" barrel will.
I ran a 24" barrel 300WM for years with H1000, RE25 and Retumbo with no problems.
50fps is neither here nor there.

Cheers.
I have no problem going with 24" my concern is it wouldn't have complete powder combustion with the H1000 and that I'm pretty close to max case capacity. At least what my books say is max. Although I see lots of people mention they are using 70+ gr in their 7mags.

I have no problem going with 24" my concern is it wouldn't have complete powder combustion with the H1000 and that I'm pretty close to max case capacity. At least what my books say is max. Although I see lots of people mention they are using 70+ gr in their 7mags.
It will burn the powder just fine.
I do not know what you mean by you are at max case capacity.
A longer barrel will not burn the powder more efficiently until you get to 30" and above.
A 24" barrel will work just fine.

Cheers.