Barrel Lapping?

jacob_strass

Going to be ordering a barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks and I see an option is to have the barrel lapped. I ordered one from them before and it wasn't an option. Is it worth the extra cost to have it lapped or not? What does it really mean to be lapped?

Going to be ordering a barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks and I see an option is to have the barrel lapped. I ordered one from them before and it wasn't an option. Is it worth the extra cost to have it lapped or not? What does it really mean to be lapped?
I would have it lapped myself. Most top of the line barrels manufactured are lapped. as far as a very general description, they are basically polishing or smoothing out the interior part of the barrel with an abrasive, but it can be an art form. A barrel can also be screwed up if you do not know what you're doing.

To have a barrel lapped, means they are going to smooth out any machining marks or chatter. You can get Tubb final finish bullets and do the same thing, but I would have preferred do it

Yeah, it's worth it if the barrel needs it, and hand lapping is in my book the best way, but... a lot of folks find Tubb's final finish pretty good. just my 0.2 Cheers

David tells me the same thing!
To have a barrel lapped, means they are going to smooth out any machining marks or chatter. You can get Tubb final finish bullets and do the same thing, but I would have preferred do it
If I can get it already from the mfg then I'll do it that way. So far the 2 I have are fine and finished that way. Firearm making is an art and can be screwed up as @338 dude stated.

Biggest factor for this is whether it is cut rifled or button and is undersize?
For cut rifled barrels, manufacturers often lap as the final process, if they don't then it is a positive to have it done.
The only time I lap a button rifled barrel is when it's going to be used for target/precision work.
I get all of my comp barrels lapped as part and parcel of the job.

Cheers.

Yeah, it's worth it if the barrel needs it, and hand lapping is in my book the best way, but... a lot of folks find Tubb's final finish pretty good. just my 0.2 Cheers
I have used a set of tubs final finish bullets in a friends rifle that simply would not group,although it was not a track driver afterward it did show an improvement. also it was not a new barrel.

With the exception of a "match" type aftermarket barrel…..I hand lap every new rifle that comes in the door, and even a Contender (handgun) barrel or two! I also polish the barrel crown.

Has this improved the performance of every one or even just a couple, I don't know…..but I suspect that it didn't hurt any!

I do know of a friends rifle that hand lapping helped tremendously! After the lapping, it was no where close to an "accurate" rifle…..but, much better than before lapping! memtb