Lapping a Barrel?

Pbailey

To start things off, I have a 700 ADL in 270 that has been giving me some trouble. On the regular, I go through upwards of 20 patches to get it clean, and even then, I have to load it down a bit to get an inch or so group at 100 yards.

I simply dont want to have to waste so much time and energy into getting the gun clean and getting it to shoot better. I know the ADL isnt a high quality rifle, but the barrel has been floated and it has had a trigger job, which did help.

So I am thinking I will try KG bore polish first to see if just polishing the barrel will help, and if that does not work, I think I am going to try Fire Lapping. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ways of lapping a barrel? This will be my first time.

Thank you

Have you tried the breaking in process? I know a lot of people think that it is all myth but I have done it to everyone of my rifles and I CAN tell the difference in cleaning it when I break in a barrel and one that has not been broken in.

tubbs final finish is great stuff. Made a 25/06 into a shooter instead of a paperweight.

Fire lapping will dramatically cut the life of your barrel. It works but it is indeed a very costly shortcut in the long run.

Be patient and go through a full break in process through about 50-100rnds and if that doesn't settle it in, in all likelihood no amount of cleaning and lapping is going to make it into a real shooter.

Lapping really should be done prior to the first shots ever being fired.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.