Barrel Lapping prevent copper?

kennygss

I was wondering what you guys thought about barrel lapping to help minimize copper fouling. I have a rifle that after about 200 rounds, is still ( IMO ) copper fouling more than it should. I was considering a low level ( patches around an old bore brush) approach to trying to polish her up some. Opine please. :)

Prevent it, no, but it helps. I had a buddy that had a Rem 7 mag that bore was so ruff that after a few shots it looked like it was copper plated. He ran a course of fire lapping bullets through it and made quite a difference. This is one reason I moly coat all my bullets, copper fouling is kept to a minimum.
db

Last edited:
Be careful here. Lapping yes(like firelapping), polishing NO.
If you polish you'll increase copper fouling, and then only a lap MIGHT recover. But you might have ruined it with a polish(I did this once).

Firelapping maybe will smooth things out and help "minimize" it but nothing prevents it.

NEVER try or let anyone hand lap it after it has been crowned and chambered. There is a reason the barrel mftrs put the cut 1" down in their blanks or cut off the end after lapping.

Usually, coppering is the result of rough cutting the chamber and/ or leade. I agree with MikeCR, but you can also run some JB compound thru it on a nylon brush. Just don't over do it.
Some barrels never stop retaining copper, but still shoot well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.