Barrel Lapping

A friend of mine has one of thes in a 6.5 and his is the same way. He hasn't tried firelapping, but the normal break-in of shoot/clean/shoot method and after 20 rounds, it doesn't show any signs of improvement yet. I would like to run a scope through a brand new one to see just how rough they are.

Last edited:
Yep, a couple friends of mine have said that they have never seen a barrel copper foul to this extreme. I started Thursday the 7th with soak it for 2hrs then brush and swab throughout the day and then soak overnight. Sunday I finally finished around 6:30pm. There was maybe 25 rounds thru it from the last clean ( 250-300 total ) so far and every time it's a pain in the a#@. I don't know maybe I got a hold of a junk Savage. My other Savages have never had this problem. I'm becoming extremely displeased with this one. Maybe time to switch MFGs also the butt pad is crumbling away and need to replace with anew one.

I used Tubb's on a Tikka T3 Varmint and on a Marlin 336 and the result was a very smooth, polished barrel that had a noticeable difference in copper fouling. Not that the Tikka was bad, but afterward it was less and a lot easier to push a patch through. The marlin wasn't great to begin with and was much improved after.

Not a bad experience, but I don't think I have any measureable data to share.

Matt

Most of the custom barrel makers will suggest no more than 10 rds. between cleanings. If you can find someone to hand lap you'll loose some barrel length as an inch or so will need to be cut off the muzzle end after lapping. Did you mention what brand of bore solvent you are using that took so long? Try something stronger (Sweets 7.62) and follow the directions.

I tried Atwood Bore Scrubber which wasn't bad and then Hoppes 9 which was a little better, just had to let it sit for about 2hrs. As far as (hand lapping) having to cut off the end of the barrel I think in the future I'll just buy a different MFG. What I'm saying is I already spent $850.00 on the gun and if this is what I get for that price then I think I can do better elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.