Barrel contour question....

timl

Can anyone tell me how a #5 Hart barrel compares in size to a Rem varmint? More specifically, would a stock inletted for a #5 Hart work on a factory Rem varmint? Thanks.

Hart #5 is .700 at muzzle
Rem Varmint is .830 at muzzle I believe.
I am wondering the same thing myself. Thinking of doing the same thing.

Can anyone tell me how a #5 Hart barrel compares in size to a Rem varmint? More specifically, would a stock inletted for a #5 Hart work on a factory Rem varmint? Thanks.

Measure the Remington varmint barrel at the muzzle and then go the barrel makers contour
charts and find one that is the same or slightly smaller if you dont want to open the barrel
channel on your stock.

Barrel maker use different systems for size comparisons and you just have to look and compare.

There are 3 basic shapes of barrels, Straight cylinder, Straight tapered and contoured. Most
factory barrels are contoured.

J E CUSTOM

I use my caliper to measure at the breech, and forward of that point to wherever the prospective replacement barrel next measures on their drawing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.