Barrel choice for a 7 rum

bushwackr

Hello all

I am trying to decide on a barrel for a new to me used remington. Its a 7 rum, I was leaning towards a 5c rifled broughton 5.5 contour 9 twist. I was liking the idea of this contour unfluted, It would still be light enough to carry around. Do I need a 1.250 breech for a remington , or is the 1.200 big enough? does anyone have this same barrel on a rum, what do you think of it. Any Pics??

The best barrel choice for a 7RUM is the one what says 7mmSTW on the side of it... :D:D:D

Seriously though, any of the major brands should be fine. I would recommend a sendero/varmint contour.

I tried the stw route and it was not a good deal, hunted down everything and Remington destroyed my rifle so I got rid of everything. Now I have everything for the rum. Anyway the 5.5 is pretty close to the sendero. Are broughton barrels any better than a krieger , my local smith has a few of them on hand

I suppose I will open another can of worms, if read a bunch on the 5c rifling , does it make any difference and will I notice anything vs regular rifling

I tried the stw route and it was not a good deal, hunted down everything and Remington destroyed my rifle so I got rid of everything. Now I have everything for the rum. Anyway the 5.5 is pretty close to the sendero. Are broughton barrels any better than a krieger , my local smith has a few of them on hand
That sucks...But you know you can always build one later. I think you'd enjoy the "darkside". :cool:

I suppose I will open another can of worms, if read a bunch on the 5c rifling , does it make any difference and will I notice anything vs regular rifling
I like the 5R rifled barrels, like Bartlein, Rock Creek, or Obermeyer. But I have heard good things about the 5C rifling, as well. Should make for a nice tube.

bushwackr,

your two choices of bbl makers are Excellent both proven,if you were blind folded

and fliped a coin to choose you wouldn't loose . your 5.5 will work great if you don't fry it

first.advantage goes to the heavier bbl cause they heat up slower. got a hart ss 5.5 on a

30-06 love it . enjoy your build ,regards jjmp

well now I am thinking maybe changing it to the stw again being as remington wont touch the rifle this time. I have a couple concerns first where can I sell my brass , I have 100 pieces coming to me for the 7 rum, and doesnt the rifle have for the rum have a larger bolt head than the stw, second will the belted case go bad with less firings than the unbelted 7 rum

All else being equal, the 7 RUM will be harder on barrels than the .300 RUM because of the smaller bore size. The same boltface will work on all three. I have several 7STWs and .300 RUMs with 30" barrels and the .300 RUMS do more damage. Most all of the custom barrel makers are good. Broughton and Lilja are buttoned. Bartlein ,Kreiger,and Brux are cut rifled.

well now I am thinking maybe changing it to the stw again being as remington wont touch the rifle this time. I have a couple concerns first where can I sell my brass , I have 100 pieces coming to me for the 7 rum, and doesnt the rifle have for the rum have a larger bolt head than the stw, second will the belted case go bad with less firings than the unbelted 7 rum
1) The brass should sell on here in the classifieds with no problem.

2) They both use the same .540" bolt face (one of my 7mm STW's was built off a Rem 700 7RUM action).

3) No, that is a myth...Belted cases can last just as long as non-belted. Belted or not, makes no contributing factor to case life. Properly cut chamber with a properly maintained and spec'd reamer, properly adjusted dies, how hot your reloads are, annealing or not annealing, brand of brass, quality of that particular run of brass, etc... can all be contributing factors to how long your brass will last. It's pretty much an unknown factor that changes from brand-to-brand, and from lot-to-lot.

I use Nosler 7mm STW brass. I've had really good luck with it.

The only brand I will NOT recommend is Federal STW brass. It seems to be very thin where the walls meet the web, and has bad case/head seperation problems (atleast, in my experience).

Krieger has 7mm, 8.5" twist, 5r rifling, Remington Varmint contour, barrels on the shelf.

I have a 300 RUM Match with a Broughton 5c barrel #5 contour barrel and it works great. Cleans really easy and shoots lights out. Can't download any pictures,but I could send ya a picture of the rifle. Via text,19073888205. My father inlaw uses the Broughton barrels and has been happy with the brand. ( 338 edge, 2 300RUM match, and a 7mmRemington mag). All shooters!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.