Barrel choice

skyhead

I am brand new to long range shooting. I recently bought a winchester 70 .300wsm my next purchases very soon are reloading equipment and high grade optics.

If I want to accurately make shots at 700 yards what factory equipment on my rifle needs to go? I am mainly wondering about the barrel. Do I need a sturdier barrel or will the stock winchester barrel be okay?

Also does anyone know off hand a good reliable scope in the $400-$500 range with at least 20x adjustable magnification, tactical style turrets (the ones with the hash marks and back to zero function)?

Why do people upgrade their bolt?

The longest shots I've made have been in the field hunting with my 30-30 hunting deer. I finally had enough when night after night I couldnt bring the deer any closer than 300-400 yards. I knew I could shoot accurate at 200 yards with my 30-30 so I guesstimated the drop at 400 yards and missed. I came back home to read that the 30-30 should never be used really for a 400 yard shot. So here I am. I have the rifle now I need the equipment to go with it.

Thank you so much for all of your advice in advance!

I would recommend keeping the factory barrel, bolt, etc and instead increase your optics budget. After some time shooting at distance, you will better understand what works for you and what doesn't, and can upgrade/retool from there. You will never be disappointed in good optics, and they will still be good when your stock barrel is shot-out.

Enjoy the 300WSM, and shooting long!

Thank you!

Up until I actually purchased the rifle I had no idea that barrels actually wore out. Is it the rifling in the barrel that actually wears out? And how do you know when it is done for? I can only see myself launching bullets all over the place and figuring that my high dollar scope has shot crap so I send it in or replace it to find all my troubles were actually the barrel.

Thank you!

Up until I actually purchased the rifle I had no idea that barrels actually wore out. Is it the rifling in the barrel that actually wears out? And how do you know when it is done for? I can only see myself launching bullets all over the place and figuring that my high dollar scope has shot crap so I send it in or replace it to find all my troubles were actually the barrel.
Read up on throat erosion. It's worse on more overbore rounds and worse on cartridges with short necks. It's also a lot worse if you let your barrel heat up significantly and shoot heavy loads through it.
A barrel is done for when it no longer puts up the accuracy you want. I've seen barrels that are pretty worn still put up 1/2" 100 yard groups. The next one won't be that bad wear wise but shoots like crap.
All barrels wear to a point, but some like 22lr's will outlive their owners. 7rums and 30-378's will seldom go 1000 rounds accurately.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.