Barrel break in accuracy

Have you contacted hart yet? They are a really nice group and I'm sure they can tell you more than we can. They make their barrels specific for loads usually and it sounds like the load you are using is not what the barrel was intended for assuming your gunsmith did his part. If you gave them a call I am sure they can give you load data that works for that barrel

Just observations - My break-in is about 40 rounds and I use the break-in to get some info on velocity and grouping. Every chamber is different but is you throat does not allow you to seat the bullet to a length you desire, you could take it back to the gunsmith and ask him to lengthen the free-bore. I have done this in the past and then the new free-bore has become my new standard. I usually need about two barrels a year as I shoot NRA - F-class target rifle.

I've used and installed quite a few Harts. I've got several in my shop now waiting to be installed. Hart doesn't publish any Barrel "Break In" procedure and in fact they state it's not needed. They usually shoot 1/2 MOA or better right off the bat with little to no load work up. I haven't started shooting Hammers yet, but I bet if you mess around with the load a little, it'll shoot. Not sure what else you have for powder, but H1000, H4831sc, retumbo and similar burn powders should give good results.

It's funny in a way that the Core-lokts were what it wanted. My wife's Rem 700 .243 absolutely loves Core-lokts. Like .35" loves. I couldn't get a Berger, Barnes or Nosler to shoot out of it better than 1.2"! At the distances she shoots and for deer or smaller, we conceded and stuck with the CLs. She has decided she wants an elk now, so she will be shooting a .280 and Accubonds this season!
I had a 300 Weatherby that did the same thing, would shoot 180 Grain Core-lokts like a house afire, one ragged hole at 100 yards but couldn't get a reload to shoot worth a darn. I am now having a similar situation with a 22-250. I agree some rifles are just finicky!

So, I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith where I had a new Hart barrel put on, and some work done to the receiver. Caliber is 25-06. I'm just a little disappointed in the fact that with 116 grain hammers, I can only get to 3.050 OAL before I'm into the lands, but not sure I'm concerned with that yet. First 20 rounds thru the barrel have yielded pretty mediocre results as far as accuracy, so I guess my question is this. Would it be normal for a rifle to shoot more accurately after say, a hundred rounds are put through it, or not so much. I haven't done any load work-up yet. I figure I need to get some rounds thru it before I go there, but just curious as to what you really good shooters' opinions are as to accuracy and a new barrel.
Don't k

Barrel is going to slowly change during the first 100-200 rounds before it settles down. Don't settle on one bullet. I've gone through 5-10 bullets, brass, primers, combos sometimes before settling on a combo I really liked. Sometimes it just takes more time, tinkering and patience to find what you're looking for out of your rig. Hammers like to jump by the way and usually like faster burning powder of a similar weight cup/core bullet. Spend time prepping your brass also for consistency.

Last edited:
Once I find a load that shoots well, (which I will overlap with the break in process), I have found that 100/200 yard accuracy usually remains pretty consistent from that point through life of the barrel. If anything, many new barrels have displayed there best accuracy when new. The aspect that does change with time is an increase in velocity which has been with as little as 50 rounds, and as much as 200 where the velocity stabilizes. This can many times influence accuracy/ES. I have rarely had an initially poor shooting barrel(given sufficient load testing) get better with time unless a defect was detected(ie crown, carbon ring, etc).

I dont even bother with handloads until I get 100+ through a new barrel. I tend to watch the chrono numbers of known "good" factory ammo and use that as my rule of thumb for when a barrel is "ready". I've seen velocity increase and SD/ES stabilize considerably for up to 100-150rds on some new barrels. Group size isn't always affected though, my bet is that your new barrel just didnt like the load you fed it.

My Rock Creek 6.5mm settled down around 110-120, group size stayed the same at ~.5-.6MOA with factory ammo but I did notice the groups were more consistent. My 6mm Kreiger was the best as far breaking in quickly it calmed down around 80 (velocity jumped 100fps and SD went almost in half using same lot of Hornady Precision Hunter), again no real impact on group size, its a solid .2-.3" rifle with that ammo.

I have two other rifles both wearing Bartleins that I havent gotten a chance to re-chrono but expecting they will be similar to the other two.

So, I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith where I had a new Hart barrel put on, and some work done to the receiver. Caliber is 25-06. I'm just a little disappointed in the fact that with 116 grain hammers, I can only get to 3.050 OAL before I'm into the lands, but not sure I'm concerned with that yet. First 20 rounds thru the barrel have yielded pretty mediocre results as far as accuracy, so I guess my question is this. Would it be normal for a rifle to shoot more accurately after say, a hundred rounds are put through it, or not so much. I haven't done any load work-up yet. I figure I need to get some rounds thru it before I go there, but just curious as to what you really good shooters' opinions are as to accuracy and a new barrel.
Don't know that I'm a, "really good shooter", I've owned enough rifles & shot enough years to know that more than a few folks here have given you good advice. In my experience: 1) Most of my new rifles were "close" brand new. 2) ALL took about 20 rounds to finally settle down. And as you know, 3) EVERY rifle I have ever owned has a favorite ammo, (far
& away), & AT LEAST one that it hates!
As some have said; sometimes finding that perfect bullet & load can get pricey, (but well worth it).
I wouldn't be too quick to blame the weapon or the smith. The .25-06 is a GREAT caliber & when you find the magical mix it will most certainly make you proud!

My experience ( with cup and core and bonded bullets; no mono s) has been if a rifle doesn't "like" a bullet after some reasonable tries of variation, then best to move to a different bullet. All the powder and primer changes in the world (assuming a reasonable choice on powder burn rate) typically won't get a fussy bullet to become a tack driver.

So, put 2-3 other bullets down range! If something doesn't show promise after that then I d be looking at rifle issues.
Good Luck

If you check out the hammer bullet reloading forum, Steve the owner, has a pretty simple way to work up loads. I'm pretty new to reloading and its worked pretty well for me so far.

I found my 25-06 really shot great with 49 - 50 grains IMR 4350 and 100 grain HPBT. If you have a good barrel then it should shoot right from the start, maybe after laying over the tool marks in the lead angle area after 10 shots or so.