Barrel break in

What's your thoughts on using a bore snake for the break in. I have used a snake and bore tech eliminator for break in with good results.

I always have a bore-snake available when hunting, just as an emergency type item to try to clean the bore. I'm not sure if it can be used successfully as a barrel break-in cleaning tool. The idea is to clean the barrel between shots until the powder, carbon, and copper are removed before the next shot is fired. It is easy to tell when it is clean by seeing a clean patch come out . If you are using the bore-snake, the same item keeps going through the bore, so it would be difficult to tell when the barrel is clean. You are reintroducing all of the dirt and mess you removed from the bore on a previous pass by pulling it through the bore again. It is like using cleaning patches more than once, I don't do it (don't think too many people do).

My custom builder develop load for mine. One does a break in process the other does not. Both guns shoot perfectly when I do my job.

None of my AR15/LR308 were broken in. All still maintaining g sub performance. I've actually got almost 600 rounds down my 6.5 CM still maintaining incredible accuracy.

I use the whole boretech line now. But when I started I was using it after every shot for the first 20 or so. Hen I would clean. It good with patches. I dont do that now as I use a rod and patches and only use my snake for hunting if needed. But I keep looking back at my first few customs that it used a snake and boretech wig and they all shoot amazingly well. I don't wanna risk it on a full custom because you can't go back but I've also not done break in with many of my ar's that shoot very well. I just rather know I did everything I could o make it shoot as best it could.

My custom builder develop load for mine. One does a break in process the other does not. Both guns shoot perfectly when I do my job.

None of my AR15/LR308 were broken in. All still maintaining g sub performance. I've actually got almost 600 rounds down my 6.5 CM still maintaining incredible accuracy.

This is what Ive always done and is why I always thought the barrel break in process was a waste of time that doesn't do anything. But Since Howa says to do it in the manual, Ill give it a shot as it can't hurt anything

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts