Barns .168 LRX

cajakid

I was hoping some of you guys might have experience reloading the Barnes 168 grain LRX, I just recently purchased a box I was going to reload for my 7 mm Remington Magnum, and I thought I had a 1:9 twist turnd out to be 1:9.25. After all the things I've read about shooting these bullets and the longer Berger bullets I have found myself to be Concerned with my slow twist. I did shoot my elk at 428 yards this season using 175 grain fusion, it did the job but I was unhappy with the bullet performance so now I'm looking to use a better bullet. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I load the 168's for my rifle and my brothers.. & they shoot really well in our barrels (however) Our barrels are 8 twist.

Those Barnes LRX are long suckers, and in my-own opinion not only require a faster than normal twist, they also (namely the 168's) are probably better suited for higher capacity casings than the ordinary Rem Mag... casings that can push 'em a little faster and harder, to reach their real potential-- and to help make up for some of the lost velocity you'll probably see with them in the ordinary rem-mag, compared to a same-weight Berger for example*

In the right barrel and matched to the "optimum" case for that bullet, it-is a wicked bullet.. definitely try them. But, you may be better off with the 145's instead of the 168's (in that particular rifle/barrel)

...and if you're set on "heavier" than that 145 LRX, give the Accubond LR's a try. Either-one of the 7mm weights of 168 or 175 should shoot through a 9.25 twist-- google Berger Twist-Rate Calculator and punch in the numbers for whichever bullets you wish to go with, whatever your given elevation is, your barrel twist etc etc.. and see what that thing computes for you. It's a pretty **** good tool to give a guy an idea which bullet will work "nicest" and (theoretically) most accurately in any particular barrel twist* Play around with that & you'll eliminate certain bullets before you ever spend a dollar on them in the store! I find it real handy.

Hope that helps,
Rooster

Thanks Rooster; That does help, I did look into that calculator prior to purchasing the bullets but in the Interim waiting for them to arrive I read so many things about how they are too long for more than a 9 inch twist That I convinced myself I purchased The Wrong thing, I do have a box of 145s LRX on the way. Using the calculator with my elevation being at 7000 feet at home, most of my big game hunting is up from there, I will try them at the range, but expect Windup using the 145gr. And hope I can make a load using H 4831. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.