Barnes TTSX, performance vs accuracy

I shot 5 deer with the TTSX all in the 100-120 lb range. The shots were between 50 and 300 yards. I found all the deer so they do kill fine. The problem I had with them was the blood trails. By looking at my exit holes none of them expanded much at all. I prefer to shoot for the lungs so they may work better for those that like to aim for the shoulder area. Pretty much every one of them I ended up on my hands and nees looking for specs of blood. I probably would not have found a few of them but I believe you dont give up looking until you just have too so there I was down on all fours. Most of them run at least 100 yards. I belive they would have died faster if I had shot them in the lungs with a bow. I would think they would work much better on large game, but I will no longer use the, for whitetails.

I think a 168 or the 175 LRX in a 308 case would be better as far as a wide wound channel is concerned.
I understand a Barnes does not have to be as heavy as lead bullets to penetrate, I get that.

But, if you use a heavier TTSX, the part that peels back is longer too & this would translate to a wider wound channel & greater terminal damage. besides, the wind drift difference is substantial & the trajectory can be plotted & the velocity does not drop too low at the max. distance that I would want to shoot a 308 at big game. I think the short TTSX makes sense only for lazor traj out to 400 or so in a round that has alot of vel., then the terminal effect would be fine.

The nicest thing about the 130 gr Ttsx is that you can really crank them out there and the tsx and Ttsx bullets need velosity to work. The 130gr Ttsx load that I have for the 308 gets 3150fps out of my 26" barreled 308 and still retains 2970 fps out of my sons 17" barreled t/c encore. At the limited ranges he will be shooting this makes for a great light recoiling, hunting round.

Several friends and I have been using the 150 ttsx in 30-06 on whitetails with great results. I took a whitetail with my 243 win loaded with the 80 grain ttsx at 432 yards and the wound looked similar to a 30-06 core lokt at 100 yards. I only have been able to recover 1 bullet from a 30-06 shooting straight on the deer, it was resting on a femur and looked just like the advertisement. I will say that with the TSX in my 280 I didn't get the performance that I was hoping for, the TSX didn't seem to expand as well as the TTSX for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.