Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Which is the better hunting bullet?

• Total voters
I think I will stay with my Barnes Bullets. They seam to shoot pretty tight groups out of my 300WTBY. I have yet to have a deer run more the 10 yds after being shot and it does a number on hogs as well.

I haven't used the NP, so simply voted for what I have used and what we're forced to use in parts of Calif., the TSX. Maybe I should have refrained from voting but here it is anyway. If you're looking for penetration with at least some expansion, I don't see how you can go wrong with the TSX.

Ive zapped a few deer at 500 with the 7mm 150 gr ttsx. The muzzle velocity was over 3500 fps. At 500 yards they penciled in and penciled out. The deer just pranced around in the field for a few minutes before falling over. They were hit an inch or so behind the shoulder. I even shot one at 100 yards that ran off never to be found. So Im not a big fan of them unless you hit em in the high shoulder. Which is where you want to hit them anyways. But if the wind takes it a bit and hits them behind the shoulder you might be in for a tracking job. That was with a customers gun that him and I took hunting. Those bullets weren't my first choice for whitetails but were what he wanted to use. They shot good though. Under 2" at 600 yards off the bipod. That's my experience with them.

Ive zapped a few deer at 500 with the 7mm 150 gr ttsx. The muzzle velocity was over 3500 fps. At 500 yards they penciled in and penciled out. The deer just pranced around in the field for a few minutes before falling over. They were hit an inch or so behind the shoulder. I even shot one at 100 yards that ran off never to be found. So Im not a big fan of them unless you hit em in the high shoulder. Which is where you want to hit them anyways. But if the wind takes it a bit and hits them behind the shoulder you might be in for a tracking job. That was with a customers gun that him and I took hunting. Those bullets weren't my first choice for whitetails but were what he wanted to use. They shot good though. Under 2" at 600 yards off the bipod. That's my experience with them.

That's fast, were you using the Rum case?

7STW. 3500 showed no pressure signs. 3600 did. We were using 81 gr of re-22.I know its over recommended loads but there were no pressure signs and it shot good. We had to use the fed mag primers cause it was so cold out when we did load development, around 0 degrees out, we were getting hangfires with regular primers.

This is a long range shooting forum, and the Partition is NOT a top choice for long range hunting. Then again, a Barnes bullet would not get my vote as first choice either. So I'm wondering why EITHER was chosen for the showdown.

Should have been Scirocco vs Accubond vs Interbond or something like that. They are all long range bullets.

Partiton is not accurate enough and Barnes bullets are too hard to be true long range bullets. As GENERAL PURPOSE hunting bullets the Partition or Barnes are excellent picks.

Still doesn't change the fact that Power Points and Core-Lokts have killed more big game than the fancy premium bullets. Price really matters to some people, and as long as it fills the freezer..............

I voted for the Nosler only to vote against the Barnes. Now my experience with the TTSX was limited to a .308 on whitetails inside 300 yards. The TTSX shot accurate but that was it. I shot 5 white tailed deer with them and they just expanded very little. Ranges varied from 50 yards to 300 yards. I did kill and find all the deer but blood trails were poor and hard to follow. There was rarely a visible difference in the entry and exit holes, at least to the naked eye.

I have seen many, elk taken with the Partition, both at very close and out past 500 yards. I have yet to see a failure. My experience with other bullets has been limited but have not had great success with the TSX. Most elk have taken a second shot. The Bergers are very accurate and sail through the air nicely, however I have heard of many mixed reviews on them. I have seen lots of video with elk being killed with them, but personally I would use them on lighter game. The new LR AB from Nosler really has me interested. I am using 7mm

neither of them are good. what you need are some sierra match kings HPBT's "hollow point boat tail's" 175's and shoot them in the neck if your a good shot.
gun) :cool:

That would help unless the intent is just to start an arguement, I MEAN DISCUSSION
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

neither of them are good. what you need are some sierra match kings HPBT's "hollow point boat tail's" 175's and shoot them in the neck if your a good shot.
gun) :cool:

I remember when those bullets came out in the 70's, lots of guys were extolling their virtues on big game, so I decided to try them on varmints first. The first jackrabbit I shot with a SMK looked like he died from fright, couldn't find a hole. Then there it was, a small droplet of blood on the far side, no expansion at all.

Since I already had a bunch loaded, I continued taking a toll on the hares. Same result, no expansion whatsoever on most shots, however every few rounds one here or there would blow up especially when bone was struck, I figured.

If memory serves me correct, Sierra eventually put out a statement that these were NOT game bullets and use as such was not recommended.

This does not apply to those Sierra's with the big gaping hollow points, by the way, just the SMK's.

Still there remained a stubborn contingent that insisted on using them "because they never had a problem." Until they did, that is, because almost everyone by the early '80's had quit using them on game, supplanted by the new Nosler Ballistic Tips and redesigned Partitions.

It appeared at the time, due to the almost nonexistent hollow point, they acted more like a pointed solid than a soft point. Outstanding target bullets, but not for game.

I wonder what all the people who support the 100% lead ban in Calif. for the supposed safety of the Condor population would think if they heard this debate about lead free bullets not expanding, therefore causing game to escape wounded, etc.
Hey, maybe we should start a "lead free bullets make animals suffer" public awareness campaign just for them to get them to let up! On 2nd thought it would probably backfire and they'd just want to outlaw shooting and hunting altogether here. (Cuz some say its not just gut piles containing lead, its any lead at all in the environment that's a problem.)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.