Barnes LRX

I just today picked up my first box of the 145 LRX bullets in 7 mm. I have been using the TSX, and TTSX, and have been very happy with them on paper. I haven't taken game with the yet, but am very confident. I like the higher BC on the LRX, and feel that they are just right for my 7MM STW. I will be setting up one of them this weekend. Has anyone taken game with the TTSX, TSX, or LRX. ? I am only going on reports from trusted members, and friends. Everyone says they ALWAYS pass through, and that's what I'm looking for.

The 280 LRX in .338 is quite accurate... no reports from the hunting field as of yet.

I have a client who is now loading this in his .338 Lapua Magnum (Sako TRG-42)...

We arrived at an OCW load of 92.2 grains of Retumbo in Lapua brass... OAL escapes me at the moment... tiny little cloverleafs at 100 yards.

I wasn't sure how the bullet would tolerate that much Retumbo... but in his Sako, it certainly did. Velocity in the mid 2700's... 2750 or so, IIRC.

Dan
I shot two antelope at 486 yards with the 280 grain LRX a double lung and a neck shot, approx impact velocity was 2078 fps, the double lunged antelope went 15 yards and the one that i hit in the neck was drt. If you search My First Antelope you can find some pics of bullets exit and entrance. They also shot extremely accurate in our savage 338 Lapua.

I just today picked up my first box of the 145 LRX bullets in 7 mm. I have been using the TSX, and TTSX, and have been very happy with them on paper. I haven't taken game with the yet, but am very confident. I like the higher BC on the LRX, and feel that they are just right for my 7MM STW. I will be setting up one of them this weekend. Has anyone taken game with the TTSX, TSX, or LRX. ? I am only going on reports from trusted members, and friends. Everyone says they ALWAYS pass through, and that's what I'm looking for.
I shot my whitetail doe this year with the 145 grain LRX out of my 7mm-08. If you search Sunday Morning Success you will see a couple entrance and exit photos.

Both of my children shot there bucks (one mule, one whitey) this last weekend with 130 grain ttsx out of my daughters 30-06. I will admit neither was long range both under 200 yards, but the bullet did exactly what I wanted. When I loaded these I was looking for a lite recoiling round that still packed enough punch for elk inside of 200 yards for my eleven year old daughter. After seeing both of their deer I now have full confidence this round will do the trick for her. My sons shot was a quartering away shot placed behind left shoulder and exiting through the right brisket with a nickle to quarter size exit hole. My daughters was a high shoulder through and through DRT hitting both shoulder blades and spine on the way through with only a quarter size exit. So this tells me that the bullet mushroomed and and held together nicely with enough punch to break bone if the shot isn't quite perfect since she is only eleven after all. Hope this helps.

Both of my children shot there bucks (one mule, one whitey) this last weekend with 130 grain ttsx out of my daughters 30-06. I will admit neither was long range both under 200 yards, but the bullet did exactly what I wanted. When I loaded these I was looking for a lite recoiling round that still packed enough punch for elk inside of 200 yards for my eleven year old daughter. After seeing both of their deer I now have full confidence this round will do the trick for her. My sons shot was a quartering away shot placed behind left shoulder and exiting through the right brisket with a nickle to quarter size exit hole. My daughters was a high shoulder through and through DRT hitting both shoulder blades and spine on the way through with only a quarter size exit. So this tells me that the bullet mushroomed and and held together nicely with enough punch to break bone if the shot isn't quite perfect since she is only eleven after all. Hope this helps.

This is just the sort of info I need to settle my reason for making la change. That is very comforting info , ( if if you will ). I have done a lot of homework, and spoke with, and chatted with a lot of trusted members and friends, and that seems to be the consensus, exactly what you said.
Thanks for the reply, and congrats to you and the other members of your family.

My son and I used TSX & TTSX bullets this past summer in Namibia on plains game and they performed very well. Out of 14 animals taken with these two bullets only two bullets were recovered. His a 160gr TTSX in a 8X57 with a muzzle velocity of 2850fps and picture perfect w/ 4 pedals. Mine a 200gr TSX out of a 8mm Rem Mag, muzzle velocity a little under 3100fps, lost all 4 pedals but it traveled from one end of the animal to the other and was lodged just under the skin at the shoulder - neck area. Most of my exit holes were around 1"to 1.5"s. All shots were between 20- 200 yds. Only two of my animals took more than one shot, a Kudu & a Warthog. I also noticed that both our PH's used Barnes TSX bullets or solids in all their rifles.

Here you go 7STW

My experience with Barnes is limited but I load them in almost every cartridge .243 cal and above and I have a load that shoots 3/4 MOA or less in every gun and my best load will shoot them into a .3 inch group at 100 yards (this is in a 338 Lapua shooting the 280 grain LRX) so I am completely satisfied in the accuracy department.

My dad shot a black bear this spring with his 300 Rum and 180 TSX and he spined it.

My dad shot his whitetail doe last year with his 25-06 with 100 grain TSX at 50 yards and hit it in the shoulder and she ran with her head down spewing blood for about 20 yards and face planted, the insides where torn to shreds and there was a 3/4 inch exit on the off shoulder.

I shot my youth deer last year in ND with my 7mm-08 and 140 grain Ttsx at about 30 yards and she was beded down quartering away and the bullet entered just in front of the hind leg and exited the center of the chest. The intestines were hanging out of its side and she was DTR.

I shot a mule deer doe in MT last year with my 7mm-08 and 140 grain Ttsx at about 30 yards off hand, she was facing me and I shot her kinda low in the chest and the bullet caused so much hydrostatic shock that it tore the skin on the bottom of her chest from the shoulder to about the center of the gut and exited her rear end! She turned and fell down a steep mountain side dead.

Here you go 7STW

My experience with Barnes is limited but I load them in almost every cartridge .243 cal and above and I have a load that shoots 3/4 MOA or less in every gun and my best load will shoot them into a .3 inch group at 100 yards (this is in a 338 Lapua shooting the 280 grain LRX) so I am completely satisfied in the accuracy department.

My dad shot a black bear this spring with his 300 Rum and 180 TSX and he spined it.

My dad shot his whitetail doe last year with his 25-06 with 100 grain TSX at 50 yards and hit it in the shoulder and she ran with her head down spewing blood for about 20 yards and face planted, the insides where torn to shreds and there was a 3/4 inch exit on the off shoulder.

I shot my youth deer last year in ND with my 7mm-08 and 140 grain Ttsx at about 30 yards and she was beded down quartering away and the bullet entered just in front of the hind leg and exited the center of the chest. The intestines were hanging out of its side and she was DTR.

I shot a mule deer doe in MT last year with my 7mm-08 and 140 grain Ttsx at about 30 yards off hand, she was facing me and I shot her kinda low in the chest and the bullet caused so much hydrostatic shock that it tore the skin on the bottom of her chest from the shoulder to about the center of the gut and exited her rear end! She turned and fell down a steep mountain side dead.

Well, that about sums it up for me!!! These things are for real. I have found them accurate in everything I shoot, from 25-06 to 300 win mag, and everything in between. They are very accurate, consistent from box to box too. Not so in some other bullets. I'm going to bet the farm on the LRX, as I am going to load up one of my rifles with that bullet only, and give it a whirl. I am going to have a few rifles with me, probably loaded with another Barnes bullet of some sort anyway.
Thanks for the feed back, and good luck to you this year.

To those it may interest, these LRX bullets are deadly accurate. I purchased a box of 145 , 7 mm LRX bullets intended for my custom 7mm STW that I built in the spring. Up until now, it has been shooting the 140 TTSX with amazing accuracy. Well, Derrek M sent me a link about the LRX bullet,and was intrigued enough to try them. To make a long story short, I shot two back to back groups at 200 today, in the .5 are. There is a pic on page 1723 of the 7stw thread.
Here is the thing that is interesting. When I was shooting the 140 TTSX, my load was 82-RL 25-140 TTSX at 3.668 OAL. Velocity average, 3369.
I used the same formula, for the exception of the 145 grain weight LRX. Accuracy is stunning,and velocity average is 3413. I actually expected it to be a little slower, but I think what is at work here, is that the extra weight is letting the powder burn more completely, resulting in more speed. I had absolutely no pressure signs, case and primers are perfect, extraction was effortless.the BC on this bullet is .486. They are every bit as long as a 150 BT.
These things are for real, and I am genuinely impressed. Now to settle the crosshairs behind the shoulders, and squeeze.............Can't wait, just about 4 weeks away.

7stw, down to about 2000 fps a behind the shoulder shot will work well but below that i would aim for shoulder to help initiate expansion.

I was using the TSX exclusively in all of the rifles that i hunt with. I have killed an Oryx, multiple mule deer and many many whitetail deer. None of them have ran more than 20 yards and the only one that did run the 20 yards was the Oryx.

I have used the 115 gr berger for my 25-06 just out of curiosity and it does well too but there is really no need for me to switch from barnes.

I was using the TSX exclusively in all of the rifles that i hunt with. I have killed an Oryx, multiple mule deer and many many whitetail deer. None of them have ran more than 20 yards and the only one that did run the 20 yards was the Oryx.

I have used the 115 gr berger for my 25-06 just out of curiosity and it does well too but there is really no need for me to switch from barnes.
Korhil78, i think you and i could get along. :D gun)

I agree riley :)

7stw..A lot of people bad mouth Barnes bullets but I have never had one not do its intended job. In my book you cant go wrong with a Barnes bullet.

My 338 LM should be done soon and I bought a box of 300 gr Bergers before they came out with the 285 LRX. After I shoot these bergers up, I am going to try out the LRX myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.