Barnes LRX/TTSX Success and Failure...

For those shooting the Tipped TSX. Seeing any notable difference in terminal bullet performance compared to the non-tipped TSX?

Or is the selection/preference mostly based on the improved BC of the TTSX over the non-tipped TSX?

jezz, tough crowd. I do realize it did get the job done and the deer expired in a very reasonable amount of time. However, the bullet didn't perform as intended and lost its petals.

I found this in my breakfast a couple of weeks ago. It's from my dad's .270 win shooting factory 130gr TTSX. I looked rather hard for this bullet while quartering up the deer as I knew it didn't pass through and by chance I found it in a piece of meat I was cooking. The chunk wasn't cooking like I wanted so I cut it up further and put it back in the pan. When I looked back into the pan I saw the bullet just slightly inbeded in in a piece of meat.

I don't know the full details but the shot was in the 100-150 yard range, deer was quartering too. Round entered in front of the shoulder and hit the vitals passed through the stomach and intestines where I found a petal. Deer ran less than 50 yards. I'd chalk this up as a fail.

I wouldn't. Considering the velocity, the shot distance, and shot angle. You're dad shot through a lot of deer, like 3ft of deer. Had this been broadside I doubt the petals would've pealed off also if it were a heavier bullet chances would've been greater to retain its weight. IF this was a lead bullet same weight and velocity you'd been lucky to find the jacket and lead scattered throughout.

They are copper, not steel.

I'd be content with that bullet's performance. Had their been no expansion - folding back of the petals - that would constitute failure in my opinion.

You have a **** good point there!

I thought was strange to find a petal in the intestines, perhaps it was fully expanded when it traveled through the chest cavity thus resulting in a quick death then somehow lost its petals as it continued to penate further.

Yeah. :) Don't take the tough crowd comments to heart. I think if the petals peal back, then even if some or all of them depart the shank after a solid hit, the bullet still performs acceptably well.

I hit a large bull moose at ~625yds with two .338 210gr Barnes TSX boattail bullets back in 1994. [Edit: they may have been named X Bullets back then, rather than TSX - I can't recall.] Was shooting a 338/378 Weatherby with a 30" barrel. The first bullet punched the center of ribs on a broadside shot and was recovered under the hide on the offside ribs. It lost two of its four petals. The second bullet hit one of the hip ball socket/joints as the bull was facing directly away from me. That ball socket looked like bone meal - and I mean it was turned to powder. I was surprised to find that bullet laying against the exterior stomach membrane with all four petals intact. It hit one of the largest sections of bone possible on an adult bull moose with a 62" antler spread and all four petals remain attached? The bullet thru the ribs and lungs loses two of its four petals??? Go figure...

I don't think any bullet manufacturer could claim that by design, they intend all four petals to remain attached to the shank of their all copper bullets under all impact scenarios, speeds, and circumstances. If the petals open up, and most normally some survive intact, that's pretty good performance to my way of thinking.

Last edited:
I just expected it to retain most if not all all its petals.

I'd consider a 130gr bullet rather petite. Had this been a 150gr+ 308 going 2800fps, basically overall more robust, I'd have a few concerns but a bitty 130gr going 3200fps at close range... na. Had that been broadside you would have a quarter sized exit hole and no bullet to gripe about.

Were the vitals jello?

I remember the top of the heart being torn off, can't really recall the damage to the lungs. I' don't think I've seen vitals turned to jello from Barnes, 2 years ago my buddy shot an aoudad at 50 yards with his 30-06 using 150TSX the lungs looked like a 3/4's drill bit passed through them. here last year my sure another buddy took an aoudad at a mere 115 yards with a 338 Lapua shooting 225's TSX, I'm sure the vitals were blown to bits, half a lung was hanging out the exit but we didn't open up the chest cavity.

I'd consider a 130gr bullet rather petite. Had this been a 150gr+ 308 going 2800fps, basically overall more robust, I'd have a few concerns but a bitty 130gr going 3200fps at close range... na. Had that been broadside you would have a quarter sized exit hole and no bullet to gripe about.

Were the vitals jello?

A 130 gr 270 Barnes bullet at 3200 fps is EXACTLY how your supposed to use them, I can guarantee that a 150+ Barnes in a 308 at 2800 fps will lead to disaster at some point having shot a metric ton of 165's from a 300 WBY at WBY speeds.

If a Barnes looses it's petals prior to exit it's FAILED because the frontal diameter going through vitals at speed is all you'll have to cause a larger than bullet permanent wound channel other wise you have a solid shank creating a very small wound channel and unless shot placement is perfect a fairly long death. An elk will take about 45 minutes to fall over if you blow the petals of on the on side and have the shank pencil.

I shot Barnes exclusively for a lot of years until I was in position to shoot a number of elk on open hay fields where they don't just vanish over the ridge or into the timber but stand out in the open where you can see every effect of your shot. I found that I most likely wounded and lost a lot of elk due to blindly thinking Barnes or Monos for that mater are any better than anything else so if they didn't drop I must have missed or if there was no blood trail I must have missed.
I had a 165 Barnes stop dead on an elk shoulder and turn out the front and hit her neck, looked like a perfect DRT kill but a half hour later I was kneeling in the middle of her cutting her throat because it just knocked her out but the impact of the bullet hitting her neck just her jugular just enough that she bleed good.
Half hour later my buddy shot a cow with a 30-06 with a 165 and it stopped cold on her shoulder only breaking it, fortunately I saw the hit and called for a different hold and the second round hit her heart.
This all made me evaluate just what the heck was going on, and it was the last time I used Barnes for heavy game, I still shoot them but only on light game where they work as they should and work very well. The problem is if they don't blow the petals of it takes a lot to push that frontal area through heavy game so you need mass which a copper bullet just does not have, or you need the petals to shear of and allow penetration but then you get small wound channels.
I have a picture of a steel plate that we were shooting at 600 yards with a 140 Cutting edge bullet stuck mid way through the plate, cup and core bullets blow through like a drill bit.
I still shoot a lot of Barnes or Cutting edge bullets but sometimes the ONLY reason they work is because of shot placement not bullet function. Kinda like any other bullet made!!

I guess guts are vitals, I mean without them I wouldn't be typing.

Basically all I pointed out was the velocities are too high for the malleability of copper especially when dealing w/ lighter bullets. I put an identical shot on a doe w/ a 30-06 pushing 150 ttsx at about 50yds and I recovered a perfect barnes bullet of the opposite side hide just in front of the hind quarter.

I'm not the least bit surprised by poor shot placement and lack of bullet performance. "Only breaking her shoulder" what else did you want it to do?? w/ an arrant shot like that? Now if you found it completely intact under the entering side I'd call that a problem.

The neck shot cow, what was the angle causing the ricochet off the shoulder? B/c that is some Kennedy magic bullet stuff right there.

I've had nothing but great success with the tsx 225 in 340wby. First elk was at 225, dropped and rolled down the hill complete pass through right behind the shoulder. Second elk a year after that one was bang-flop, dead before he hit the ground at 425. Again, shot at the crease behind the front shoulder about 12" below the back. Complete pass through and parts of the lungs were hanging out the other side. the hillside behind him looked like someone had changed the oil in a D-8. A couple deer that didn't take a step as well. I didn't spend much time examining the performance and internals, just DRT. Its been said already, but placement helps. Thread was about the TTSX, but i still haven't gotten these loaded up yet.

20160127_164632.jpg

20160127_170708.jpg

20160127_170731.jpg

20160127_170722.jpg

20160127_164334.jpgThis is a Barnes 150TTSX from a 30-06 a little under 3000fps recovered from my girlfriends first hog a 290lb boar. It when thru a front leg, the heart, smashed the far side shoulder and was lodged in the skin. Almost flat in the front and after digging the meat and bones out of it still very near 150 grains. Actually not sure I want a bullet that tough for deer, but for pigs yes.

She was so excited she didn't realize she had a headache and black eye until the drive home....scope eye ! Nothing a little Bud Light won't fix.

Attachments

• 20130308_113859.jpg
    20130308_113859.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 395
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.