barnes lrx

hellbound

hey guys have just acquired some 175 gr barnes lrx for my 300 win mag. Anyone have any experience reloading this bullett ?any advice? also was wondering about this shell collett i found for use on belted mags for resizing, what are your thoughts?

I did load development for a buddy's brand new 700cdl in 300RUM. He chose the 175 LRX. Using the powder and primers available, I ended up at 94grains of RL25 on top of Winchester LRM primers. 1/2 moa groups at 100yds, ES of 9.5fps for 4 shots, and I think the velocity was right around 3300fps. He was bummed he didn't get more velocity! I pointed to the last group he shot, which was one ragged hole, and said that it's good. (Load is over Barnes' recommendations, so work up to this load!! Saw no pressure signs at 95 grains, but 93.5-94.5 was the accuracy node)
I've got no knowledge of the shell collet, so I can't help there.

I did load development for a buddy's brand new 700cdl in 300RUM. He chose the 175 LRX. Using the powder and primers available, I ended up at 94grains of RL25 on top of Winchester LRM primers. 1/2 moa groups at 100yds, ES of 9.5fps for 4 shots, and I think the velocity was right around 3300fps. He was bummed he didn't get more velocity! I pointed to the last group he shot, which was one ragged hole, and said that it's good. (Load is over Barnes' recommendations, so work up to this load!! Saw no pressure signs at 95 grains, but 93.5-94.5 was the accuracy node)
I've got no knowledge of the shell collet, so I can't help there.

LOL seriously, he was bummed he didn't get more velocity LOL! What advantage does he see in all that speed?

Well, he wasn't exactly sulking and depressed, he just commented after the first few shots that he thought he should be getting closer to 3400. I explained to him he is shooting a brand new, factory remington with a pencil barrel, unbedded wooden stock, off of sandbags and taking the full recoil (no leadsled, etc) on a 300RUM!!!
And then, of course, I explained that only through my superior training and skill as a reloader that this level of accuracy and precision was even possible! :rolleyes:
He's pretty tickled now with what his rifle is doing.gun)
I just think it's typical man syndrome, always wanting a little bit more!

Well, he wasn't exactly sulking and depressed, he just commented after the first few shots that he thought he should be getting closer to 3400. I explained to him he is shooting a brand new, factory remington with a pencil barrel, unbedded wooden stock, off of sandbags and taking the full recoil (no leadsled, etc) on a 300RUM!!!
And then, of course, I explained that only through my superior training and skill as a reloader that this level of accuracy and precision was even possible! :rolleyes:
He's pretty tickled now with what his rifle is doing.gun)
I just think it's typical man syndrome, always wanting a little bit more!

Well written I love your sarcasm, reminds me of myself! My father in law in the same way, he thinks that speed kills. He has a small stock pile of these 115g Barnes XLC, he drives in his Sendero 300 RUM at something wacko around 4000FPS, he is always asking me what the fastest 30cal round is. I don't get it myself small and fast or that does not beat big and slow for retained energy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.