Barnes copper Club

philny1

Just out of curiosity how many out there have joined the Barnes Copper club. Come on fess up, I can't be the only pigeon on this site. Oh well at least I got a Barnes cap and two jugs of bore cleaner for my $49.99.

I got the cap, two jugs of bore cleaner, and the ballistics program for my 49...

I'm a sucker too, but I do like having access to #4 as they're making it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In addition to that "stuff", there's a DVD that's only a commercial for their products. Which I didn't need, since I already use their bullets almost exclusively. The exception being NAs. I didn't find their Ballistics Program to offer much info, at least not what I was looking for. As far as their reloading school is concerned, I've been reloading for over forty years and am still amazed at how much I don't know. Especially when I start reading these forums and find out what some other shooters, reloaders are up to.

Access to volume 4 while its being made. Volume 3 is in there too makes printing out the pages you want alot easier.

They been telling right along to use X-bullet data for the TRX. Starting below max and working in .5gr increments to a point 1-2 grs over x-bullet max load. Specifically a load I've worked up for my 30-378 Wby is the 180gr TRX over 103grs RL-22, this is one grain over x-bullet max in manuel #3. Now according to manuel #4 this load is 5.5grs over max.

Yea I saw that with my 300WM, I load em till I reach pressure signs or the group starts opening up past what I like! Hunting loads here with 250yrd average shots 3/4 inch 3 shot goups or better. Max in vol 2 with a XBT is usually real close.

waht kills me is they are selling TSX's hand over foot but have no real load data for them. Unless you join the Copper Club and they have made it to your cal.

Tried their ballistic program again this morning. All I can get are trajectory figures out to 450. I have target butts to 600 and know what is happening to that distance. I'm shooting a Barnes 180 gr TSX at 3400 fps with a 300yd zero. According to manual #3, BC for the 180gr XBT is .552-- 180gr TRX ??? I would like to know my drop at 700 and at 800 yds. If anyone can help, would appreciate it.

I'm a semi-retired gentleman, avid hunter, shooter and gun dealer. I guess we all read the same book, but we're definitely on different pages. I still think anything over 600 yds (my furthest target butt) is long range, not into ballistic programs. I never heard of an Allen Mag until I got on this site.(a thanks to buffalobob for the AM info) To say the least we're a bit behind the times here in Dogpatch.
Anyhow, I get to do a lot of shooting, both my personal rifles and my customers. I'm not a gunsmith. I'll mount scopes and do load developement, thats about as far as I go.
Its 44 steps from my reloading bench to my shooting bench. I load one rd, shoot and repeat until I kinda get where I think I shoud be velocity wise. Then start with 3 shot groups to see what it wants to do
My shooting is with factory rifles, usually out of the box with an occasional one that has been accuracized, a lot of Wbys, Sakos, Rems and whatever else that might come through the door.
Introduction out of the way, we'll get down to the reason behind this post other than its Feb, -5 this AM and had rotator cuff surgery 10 days ago and can't pull the handle on my press or shoulder a rifle, bored stiff !!
Enough.
Barnes Bullets: Every so often I'll read a post or hear a comment to the effect that there are much better bullets out there. They are not accurate. The BC listed in their manual is doubtful etc. These comments are usually made by those whom I consider knowledgeable, but are made without an explanation
I have used TSXs in 6mm Rem, 257 Wby, 7/08, 7 Rem Mag, 7Wby Mag, 7 STW, 7 RUM, 30/06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby Mag, 300 RUM 30-378 Wby, 338 Win, 340 Wby, 338 Lapua and 375 H&H. These come to mind.
Accuracy--½" makes me smile, ¾" not to bad. Had a STW that would get in the 3s, but that rifle seemed to like everything.
Performance on game ; five elk from 35 to 721 yds (OK- for me 50-50 skill-luck, but it put him on the ground so I don't question it). small BB, caribou, bunch of deer. Never hunted with a better bullet.
If you're still reading this gibberish, you're more bored than I am.
Seriously would be interested in your opinion. Always looking to learn something new, beleive this is the place to do it.
My name is Phil and its been 12 days since I shot my gun.
I like cats.

I for one totally agree with you on the luck with TSX's. I have never seen them not shoot good in any rifle. Play with powders, primers, and seat depth and you'll find a good load. I have tried other bullets, Nosler AB's and Hornady interbonds to name a couple. I've gotten great groups with the NAB's but can't get the interbonds to shoot. I can consistanly push the TSX's to more velocity and expect tight groups while doing it. The NAB add says they foul less but this has not been the case for me while starting with a CLEAN bore. The MRX's by the way, are definitely worth playing with, those puppies shoot awesome. Not trying to knock anyone elses bullets but I too don't see why everyone's gotta hate on Barnes so much. I also realise they shouldn't be compared BC wise to a Wildcat or other ULD. For a "factory" hunting bullet they are absolutely awesome. Why can't we all just get along??

So far, I have been running the TSX in a 22-250 A.I., A 223 WSSM and a .308 Winchester.....and....(whether you believe it or not, almost no copper fouling...VERY light trace copper fouling, or none.

Loads can really vary the group size but with loads the rifles like, they are all shooting just over 1/2 inch, and closer to 3/4, on a bad hair day.

I use the 70 gr. TSX in the 22-250 A.I., the 62 gr. TSX in the 223 WSSM., and a 165 gr. in the .308.

I don't like the price...but, they are working pretty well.

I won't be joining the Copper Club for that price as the Barnes TSX don't load much different than like weights of conventional bullets (so far with these mentioned calibers) so....the Copper Club is no big deal really....I would just as soon spend that money on more bullets or powder or....etc.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.