Thoughts on Barnes TSX, TTSX, and other copper bullets

What are your thoughts on these hunting projectiles types?

• Total voters

RavenRocksPrecision

LRH Sponsor
Hey LRH, we are considering stocking more Barnes products to include TSX, TTSX, LRX, and banded solids. Additionally, we are looking at importing a European offering called Fox Bullets (https://www.foxbullets.eu/). For those who aren't familiar with Fox, they are roughly 90% copper and 10% zinc. They feature a thermostable polymer tip and are designed to expand reliably at lower velocities. They are more of a short to medium range hunting bullet and calibers range from .22 to .375. Hoping you can give us some feedback on what you'd like to see available (Barnes or Fox), and any other info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

www.ravenrocksprecision.com

I think that there is room in the market for another mono type bullet…..though it will be a battle, as others have a big jump into the game!

If the bullet proves to have the qualities you profess…..this is a very good thing.

Also……what distance is considered medium? And, at what velocities do you expect to get expansion of bullets?

Good Luck in your venture…..looking forward to some feedback! memtb

Last edited:
The Fox Bullets have an interesting and unique design. I am already a big fan of certain mono bullets, but is there any info showing these particular new mono bullets are worth a try? Working up a load with a new bullet takes time and money. I am not going to try something new unless there is some testing/field trials/user reviews/etc. showing the product offers some advantages.

Last edited:
Hey LRH, we are considering stocking more Barnes products to include TSX, TTSX, LRX, and banded solids. Additionally, we are looking at importing a European offering called Fox Bullets (https://www.foxbullets.eu/). For those who aren't familiar with Fox, they are roughly 90% copper and 10% zinc. They feature a thermostable polymer tip and are designed to expand reliably at lower velocities. They are more of a short to medium range hunting bullet and calibers range from .22 to .375. Hoping you can give us some feedback on what you'd like to see available (Barnes or Fox), and any other info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

www.ravenrocksprecision.com
More choices are never a bad thing. Good luck!

Ed

I like and have used the TTSX with entirely satisfying results in the past. But I don't feel the mono bullets are "needed" for most hunting situations unless you are in one of the areas that they are required by law. With that being said, a new bullet being offered can't hurt.
You never know… a couple of the right guys become "fan boys" and you won't be able to keep them on the shelf. ;)

For me it's all about matching projectile design to anticipated velocity windows and expected target resistance

Long range, acknowledging that hammers and bulldozers do perform much lower velocity than Barnes, you're not going to convince me that lead core isn't king. 225 eld m in my .300 win is my fave.

But for inside 400-500 yards I loooooove the superior performance of lightweight monometals going fast - just worked up a load with rl17 in my 257 wby shooting a 75 grain hammer hunter at around 4150 fps and it's a laser beam and a killer. I suspect the 90 grain absolute hammer might be a more useful bullet and there's no flies on the boring old 100 grain Barnes tsx load I have either.

For expected close in work both my 8mm mauser with plain old 196 ppu soft points and my .358 Norma with either 250 hdy soft points, 270 grain round noses, or 280 a frames offers a level of "thumpy insurance" that in my opinion no monometal or match bullet can touch.

For me it's all about matching projectile design to anticipated velocity windows and expected target resistance

Long range, acknowledging that hammers and bulldozers do perform much lower velocity than Barnes, you're not going to convince me that lead core isn't king. 225 eld m in my .300 win is my fave.

But for inside 400-500 yards I loooooove the superior performance of lightweight monometals going fast - just worked up a load with rl17 in my 257 wby shooting a 75 grain hammer hunter at around 4150 fps and it's a laser beam and a killer. I suspect the 90 grain absolute hammer might be a more useful bullet and there's no flies on the boring old 100 grain Barnes tsx load I have either.

For expected close in work both my 8mm mauser with plain old 196 ppu soft points and my .358 Norma with either 250 hdy soft points, 270 grain round noses, or 280 a frames offers a level of "thumpy insurance" that in my opinion no monometal or match bullet can touch.
That lighter bullet, high velocity idea was what got Weatherby started. Chub Eastman, Steve Timms and Matt Smith did that with a 6.5-280 AI for deer, elk and moose. But they used 100 gr -120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

The problem I have with the lighter, faster concept is…..they "fall on their face" quicker, have more drift and drop @ longer ranges, and offer less penetration and lower energy transfer. The only caveat being….you must keep your shots at a distance at which reliable expansion is assured!

When I went to monos in the early '90's, I kept the same bullet weight as with my previous cup and core bullets…..for the aforementioned reasons! memtb

I'm a Barnes fan.
AD8F9A25-AC9B-409B-A55E-42EBA471F9B1.jpeg

Solid coppers lose attractiveness at long range due to mediocre BCs, but they perform great at reasonable normal hunting distances. Some of us have to use them. I now prefer Hammer Bullets over Barnes and can't wait to try a 85gr HH @ 3400fps in my 6.5x47L. Should be a real killer out to 500 yards and accuracy is amazing.
52297783712_fca4aeddfe_c.jpg

Last edited: