Barnes 95 gr bullet in a 270 Win.

Clay Target Guy

Has anybody tried the TTSX 95 gr bullets in a 270 Winchester? If so, what was your load and what kind of vel. were you getting.
This would be used for lopes and whitetail deer under 400 yards.

Thanks
John

Has anybody tried the TTSX 95 gr bullets in a 270 Winchester? If so, what was your load and what kind of vel. were you getting.
This would be used for lopes and whitetail deer under 400 yards.

Thanks
John

Hard to beat Barnes data for their bullets. I like the 110 TTSX much better for longer shooting as bc is much better and speeds are great for up to 400 yd like you posted. I had excellent results wit H4350 with both the 95 and 110 grain TTSX.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2014/11/270WinchesterBRM5V17.pdf

Are the vel. listed in the Barnes manual close to real world? I have seen several manuals post FPS that are "optimistic" to say the least.
Thanks

Are the vel. listed in the Barnes manual close to real world? I have seen several manuals post FPS that are "optimistic" to say the least.
Thanks

With most Hodgdon data I rarely see max pressure at their max loads, with Alliant data it is usually real close but........

Barnes data is real! I nearly always hit max pressure and speed at 1 to 2 grains less than their max load. That is why it doesnt bother me any to see a "compressed" load with their data as I already know I prolly hit their listed speed 1-2 grains below their max. Start at mid range of their listed load and load up to their listed velocity is in general safe, watching along the way for pressure signs.

You will notice that one thing Barnes ballistics research team believes in is max case fill %.......

I load the 110 gr. TTSX for my wife's .270. Velocities around 3400. It's a great shooter as the groups shrank when I got near the published max charge of H4350.
She recently tagged a Central Washington Mule deer at 340 yards. Bang flop.
Perfect bullet performance and zero tracking!

Wsmnut

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.