Barnes 280 grain LRX low velocity expansion results.

Good testing riley. Looks like those barnes perform well at most velocities. Can't wait to see the same tests with the CE bullets bigngreen is sending you. Don't make us wait too long.:)

I have all my relatives that live in the same town as me and get the newspaper saving me newspapers.:) I have 27" of magazines that I can use if I decide to.:D that should be enough but I am going to wait a week or two for more newspapers.

Good job Riley! You can learn a lot by testing bullets. You WILL find though, that different combinations of media can greatly alter your results from bullet to bullet. Keep up the good work!.......Rich

Good job Riley! You can learn a lot by testing bullets. You WILL find though, that different combinations of media can greatly alter your results from bullet to bullet. Keep up the good work!.......Rich
Thanks guys. Rich, what could I do to better represent a behind the shoulder shot on an elk?

I would talk to a butcher and see if you could get a shoulder blade (scapula) of a cow and put that behind 1 wet magazine.

I would talk to a butcher and see if you could get a shoulder blade (scapula) of a cow and put that behind 1 wet magazine.
I would aim for the shoulder but I want to know that when I am off on my wind call (yes when) and the bullet goes behind the shoulder that it will expand. So I don't want to test a shoulder shot because I'm sure it will expand just as much or better as when it misses bone.

Why only 1 wet magazine?

Thanks guys. Rich, what could I do to better represent a behind the shoulder shot on an elk?

I don't know if you live on a ranch or have any relatives or good friends that do, but if you don't mind performing autopsies, you might watch for opportunities there:D
I sometimes use carpet to simulate hide and bullets perform more true to form in VERY wet newspaper rather than on the dry side. Other than that, ballistic gel is a good option. Your wet newspaper, though, will give decent results for BEHIND the shoulder if no bones are involved in the real life situation.....Rich

I don't know if you live on a ranch or have any relatives or good friends that do, but if you don't mind performing autopsies, you might watch for opportunities there:D
I sometimes use carpet to simulate hide and bullets perform more true to form in VERY wet newspaper rather than on the dry side. Other than that, ballistic gel is a good option. Your wet newspaper, though, will give decent results for BEHIND the shoulder if no bones are involved in the real life situation.....Rich
Well I live a couple miles out of town and don't have cattle but there about 75 cows in a pasture next to our yard that would give me shots from 100-950 yards.:D but I don't know how happy the owners would be about me shooting a couple to test bullet expansion.:D

Well I live a couple miles out of town and don't have cattle but there about 75 cows in a pasture next to our yard that would give me shots from 100-950 yards.:D but I don't know how happy the owners would be about me shooting a couple to test bullet expansion.:D

My guess is a little less popular than Obama at a gun show:D....rich

Barnesuser28 we used to use jello mixed with half the water with little 1"x1" spaced in when testing our pistol bullets. Held together real well and gave good results. Similar to a broadside shot on a deer with a 44 mag. I just made it in a 5 gal rubber maid container.

Ya you would need a bit for sure. It took 2 of them (25" average) to stop a 44 mag with a 210gr Gold Dot at 1575 fps.

I think I would need a ton of that to stop a 280 grain bullet moving 1300 fps!

There is also a product that I've used, can't remember the brand name, but it super absorbs water and turns to a jelly like substance. If you have a way to contain it, it works quite well. I will try to look up the info on it tomorrow if I get a chance......Rich

There is also a product that I've used, can't remember the brand name, but it super absorbs water and turns to a jelly like substance. If you have a way to contain it, it works quite well. I will try to look up the info on it tomorrow if I get a chance......Rich

The product is called "Terra Sorb" it is a hydrogel that absorbs 200 times it's weight in water. I think I paid $30+ for a 5 lb. can.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.