BallTip or Accubond

startrek1761d

I plan to use a 7mm STW this deer season, I have used one previously on 2 deer under a 100 yards with a 140 ballistic tip, they were DRT but had very small exit wounds, I am considering a 140 gr Accubond but I had one to fail me on a deer with a 257 Weatherby mag, good shot but very little blood trail and never found the deer. This year I will be hunting between 100 and 400 yards. What do you guys recommend?

Myself, I'd use the accubond with those high speed cartridges. But any of your choices should kill like lightning with proper bullet placement. The BT won't be the best choice for the toughest shots up close, not enough penetration.

I plan to use a 7mm STW this deer season, I have used one previously on 2 deer under a 100 yards with a 140 ballistic tip, they were DRT but had very small exit wounds, I am considering a 140 gr Accubond but I had one to fail me on a deer with a 257 Weatherby mag, good shot but very little blood trail and never found the deer. This year I will be hunting between 100 and 400 yards. What do you guys recommend?

I personally have had good success with the BT as well. In fact, my first Sendero still shoots the BT, or actually it is a CT,( combined Technoligies). It is absolutely lightning on deer. Hydrostatic shock is insane. I have also had very good luck with the 150 BT. My favorite bullet at the moment is the 140 Barnes TSX. I have two STW's that eat them things like candy, and shoot very small groups. I have not shot a deer with them yet, but am going to take some for a test drive next month on a crop damage hunt in Maryland. Last, but certainly not least, is the 162 A- Max, and 154 Hornady Spirepoint. I shot a .355 group with the154's on this past Sunday. If all else fails, stick with the BT. They smoke deer!!! Have fun!

I've killed with the Accubond in the 7stw and it works very well, but I've seen a LOT more deer taken with 140 sierras in the 7stw, as my dad uses that bullet, and it is accurate- scary so. I've seem BT's come apart when they hit bone at all, so I don't use 'em. If you shoot slats only you'll be fine with either nosler or the sierra

We shot shot them by the truck load with the 150's. The small exit wound is due to the fact that your bullet blew up inside the deer. When you clean the deer, what damage did you find to the lungs and heart. I would switch to the 150's, but out to 400 yds the 140's will smoke them all day long.

At that range on deer, I don't think you can go wrong. Besides working well, they are less expensive and every bit as accurate......Rich

That small exit hole was most likely just the jacket from the bullet. It blew up inside and lost all the lead and only the jacket came out. My buddy used the 140 partitions in his 7stw and never had to track a deer. He even killed two with one shot in their tracks once. I don't know about it's use in the 7stw but in the 7 mag the 154 Hornady interlock is a great deer bullet. In my experience with the Accubond bullets (130 gr in 264 Win mag 3350 FPS) they are the best of both worlds. They fly and start to open up like a ballistic tip but hold together like the partition and keep on trucking. I have killed 6 or 7 deer with the Accubond and all have been DRT.

Not sure where you are from or how big your deer are.
Smaller southern deer would be a good match for the BTs.
Northern whitetails or big mountain mulies it may be a good idea to go with the stouter AB.
Just a generalization however. both would probably work great.

I have had an STW since 1994. Shot quite a few whitetail, muledeer and antelope with the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Countless coyotes have also fallen to this combo. About 5 years ago I tried the 120 grain Barnes TTSX with 82.0 grains of IMR4831 and Federal 215 primers. Overall cartridge length 3.60''
This load is super accurate and offers better penetration when the animal does not offer perfect broadside shot. My son shot a bull moose with this gun and the 140 TTSX, 150 yard shot broadside behind the shoulder , complete pass through and the bull trotts away 20 yards or so and tips over. I captured it on video. Anyways my 2 cents. Awesome cartridge!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.