Accubond or Berger?

kellyc33

I am going to work up a load for a custom rifle chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum. This will be a long range Elk load. My bullet choice will be either a 200 grain Nosler Accubond with a .588 BC or a 210 grain Berger with a .631 BC. I will be using either Retumbo, MRP, RL22 or RL25 powder with Weatherby cases and Federal 215 primers. I know how the Accubond expands on large game but have no experience with the Berger. I would appreciate your input and pet load using theses components.

For long range hunting the berger is really the best there is. The problem with the berger is when the velocities are still really high. There will be people that will say that the berger kills everything both near and far, and this may have been their expierence. I would choose an accubond if you wanted a great all around bullet though. The berger is a better long distance bullet, so if you are sure your shots will only be true long range choose the berger. If you anticipate long shots but are unsure of where the animal will be the accubond is a great all around performer. In the end both are excellent bullets but you just have to understand the purpose of each bullet and its limitations.

After shooting 3 elk with the accubond and 2 with the berger using a 300saum, I'lll never shoot the berger again on anything bigger than a deer. The elk with the berger where shot at 250 and 578 yds and neither reached the vitals with a muzzle velocity of 2880. That being said both were imobilized, but took a second shot to finish them. The accubond is more consistant on big game. I know, I know, some people have had bang... flop with the berger, but what bullet hasn't?

I'm having the same debate myself, except my debate is between:
Accubond 200
Barnes Tipped TSX 200
Berger 210 VLD

I'm still figuring out which is most accurate in my new rifle (just broke the barrel in last weekend, it's a .300 RUM Sendero), but based on what I've read so far on terminal ballistics I'm really hoping the Accubond is accurate in my rifle.

It seems (again....based on what I've *read*...no real experience with these 3 bullets for me yet) that the Accubond would be the better bullet at long range because of its ability to expand at lower velocities.

Don't the mono-metal bullets require higher velocity to expand properly, making them less lethal at longer ranges (and lower velocities)?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but seems relevant.....if not, lemme know and I'll start my own thread. :)

--Ben

For elk I like the 200 accubond and 200 ttsx the best. I can't tell that much difference with the BC's. Either have adequate BC with the velocity of a 300 wby to be deadly to 1000 yards. My longest shot ever was with a 300 wby at 1365 yards. It is an exceptional shooting rifle and one of the all time best cartridges ever developed.

Many of the Barnes bullets seem to have higher BC's than what they list. Over the summer I am testing several ttsx bullets for BC. One will be the 200 ttsx. Using this bullet out of a 300 wby you can crush through an elk and kill it at any shot angle which is important. Not all chances are perfect broadside for that DRT high shoulder shot.

LTLR, you bring up a great point. By choosing a proper calibre and bullet combination for the animal you're hunting, the chances of a one shot kill will increase on less than ideal shot angles or poor shot placement. Most elk I kill are not standing broadside at 200 yards. I did not consider the Barnes ttsx but would like some feed back when you test. (pm me when you have results)Come summer, I want to work up one load for fall hunting that is not temperature sensitive. I will be trying out the extreme powders for the first time. I am hoping to develop an accurate load with one of the newer ones like Retumbo. If someone wants to share some data, please do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.