Balllistics Program Question

DC

My younger sister has adopted 6 kids, and my older sister adopted 5, perhaps one more wouldn't hurt, and if they won't take him, I will. At least your grandson will have some good shooting genetics, heeeeeell, all we'll have to do is teach him how to read the wind!

In less than 2 days you have already moved the line from 1,000 to 1,250. Just think what a real technological break through could do!
grin.gif

Boyd

Why don't you and your buddies follow me and Jack Wheeler through the mountains of Afgahnistan at 18,000 ft. ASL with all that benchrest gear and find out what it takes. You sit at your range on your backside after driving to it in your air conditioned Sport Utility at darn near sea level. Not two minutes from chilled water and an air conditioned building. And you accuse me of talk! You guys get funnier by the minute!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Keep turning every thread into a challenge for someone to come to Williamsport and prove they have what is takes, and I am sure Len will see the light and change the name of this forum to "Williamsport Challenge Do You Have What It TAKES.com"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

As for the rest of us we will keep killing stuff at long range with one shot and helping eachother learn more about ALL the different techniques available to shooters.

Ric

You got Air Conditioning? We really want Boyd to show up.

I will guarantee you he won't stand face to face with me and talk the kind of trash he is talking now. What a great way to get new shooters at Williamsport.

Byfpos

Dude,you need to chill out.Kinda touchy,are'nt you?????????You have been trash talking since you came to this site.You know your stuff,no doubt.But don't think for one minute I don't know mine.Now take a deep breath and chill....It's all good...
grin.gif

S1

I said 1000 yds and also 1250 and 1500 yds.

I will say again though, reading the wind past 1000 yds takes many years to accomplish and you know that. It's something that is not taught in a few days, weeks or months at most locations. If Tax payer money is involved, the skies the limit and top instructors are available as teaching aids.

Williamsport is one of those locations that people have many problems with and have for 35 yrs now.

Please, if you can read the wind like you say, come and show us how it's done. I am serious when asking you. I would like to know myself.

You mentioned our Grandsons discussing 3000 yd shots with a 1 shot system.
I have a friend who did get his elk 5 yrs ago at 2890 Yds, but he and his group used the spotter system.
That's closing the gap on the 3000 yd mark I would say. The caliber was the same as mine---the 338/416 Rigby IMP using the 300 gr MK.

I honestly would like to see someone shot from a bipod and make a 3000 yd kill the FIRST shot every time. That person would no doubt be able to walk on water or part the Red Sea.

First rule instilled in My Grandson was, DO NOT try 1 shot kills over 1000 yards period.
Use the spotter system like my son was taught, also.
I wouldn't let him shoot at woodchucks until they were at least 600 yds out. He found out early on that within the first 600 yds the shooting was to easy with the equipment we had set up. 600 plus was a bit tougher for him.

Anyway, I think I'll keep my Grandsons and continue to teach them the spotter method as long as I can spot for them. If they mention ANYTHING about one shot kills over 1000 yds, I'll ship them to you.

Later
DC
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

DC

I would be overjoyed to have them so send them my way. Its a silly argument though. Our grandkids are gonna be laughin at us, saying stuff like,

"You guys did what? You mean you designed weapons that shot stuff that was affected by the wind, and gravity? Tell me your kidding Grandpa...... You really didn't have particle beams back then, not even when you were in the Army?"

S1

I think that's coming sooner then we think with all the new advances in technology.

I guess we will have to do with what we have for the present time?

Have a good one.
DC

QUOTE FROM GREATGRANKIDS

"Grandpa, you mean you actually carried your weapon like great grandpa did? Your rangefinder was not integrated into your personal drone? I heard greatgrandpa actually hunted birds with dogs, and dogs can't even see on a thermal spectrum! I'll bet he got tired luggin all that stuff around, sure glad we got these minnie flying drones, by the way, Grandpa, how did you guys find a wounded Grizzly bear in thick brush without a drone and thermal imager ......? Scary !!!!
shocked.gif
You guys were crazy to be doin that!!!"

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

The reason I ask is that there are several things that can do what you are discribing. 2 of them are:

1. B.C.s are not always what books say they are. Sometimes barrel length and burn rates improve your B.C. Try adding .050-.055 to your B.C.

2. Some MINOR imperfections in a 100 yard zero can throw you off. Try calculating a 1000 yard shot from a 300 yard zero. Unless you are dealing with over 100 degrees in temprature and 10,000 feet in altidude, your 300 yard zero will always be close enough for a starting point for a long range calculation.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.