Ballistic Plex conversion question

G

I have a Burris 4X16 Sig rifle scope on a 300 win mag and recently asked Burris about changing the reticle from a standard plex to a Ballistic plex.....this is what they had to say:

"
We can install a Ballistic Plex in your scope for the standard fee of $50.00 but the reticle that will fit inside this scope is calibrated for 9x. So for our calibration and subtensions to hold true you would have to use the scope on 9x for the hold over marks. Another option would be the Ballistic Mil-Dot which is calibrated for 16x but requires a $120 fee for installing it.

We have introduced a new Signature Select with either Ballistic Plex or Ballistic Mil-Dot for this year. Unfortunately the reticle mounts are a different design and are not compatible.

Thank you,
Burris"

My question is: What effect will this have if the BP reticule is calibrated at 9X and I use it at a higher power??

Would I be better off to sell my scope and buy one of the newer Signature Select scopes with the BP reticule???

Thanks!

If you use it at a higher power, you'll just have to take it to the range to see what the subtensions are. It won't hurt to use it, but the numbers provided by Burris will be different. This wouldn't matter to me, as I probably wouldn't be using there same load anyway. If you really want the ballistic plex, go for it. I don't use any of those, I just use my range finder and dial in the distance.

FWIW,

Jim

I realize that the holdovers won't match the Burris chart.....what I need to know is which way will they go??? For instance, if the plex is calibrated at 9X and I crank the scope to 16.......will the holdovers be long or short? If I sight in (at 9X) for a holdover to be correct at 400 yards.......then crank the scope to 16X......will the 400 yard mark be closer to 200 or 600???

More power means less correction at a given stadia reference. Less power means more correction at a given stadia reference. Using your example, at 16X you would hit more like 200 yds using the 400 holdover stadia.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.