Ballistic Drop Chart on your Rifle

victor

Hi All,

I am looking for a method to attach a printed paper drop chart onto my rifle.

That said, here are the required specifications:

1. It needs to be in a location on the rifle, where I can view it with reasonable ease, and the print needs to be large enough that I don't need a magnifying glass to read it, but all the data must fit.

2. It needs to look good. Like it was really thought out rather than an after thought.

3. It needs to be easily replaceable. I would like to change out the drop chart for different bullet choices.

4. It needs to protect the paper print out from the elements, like water & snow.

5. It needs to be integral with the rifle. Not a sliding card that is pinched between cartridge holder on butt stock. I don't want to have to move around a lot or search for it when I need it and I don't want it to fall out and get lost.

All that being said, my current method of attaching my drop chart is as follows.

I calculate my drop table using Exbal.
I create an Excel spread sheet that I type in the values out to 1000 yards in 25 yard increments with only 4 columns: Distance to Target, EL in MOA, EL @ 45 degree incline in MOA, 10mph Windage

The Excel sheet gives me the option to control the size of my text so the chart will reasonably fit on my stock. Also, it allows you to make the background color green or whatever you like for camouflage. (mine is blue because my ink cartridge is running low on ink).

I then simply use clear packing tape to tape the paper chart over my rifle stock.

Here is a pic of what mine looks like:
Drop_Chart_1.JPG

Drop_Chart_2.JPG

This works OK, but it looks crappy, mainly because it was an after thought. The tape is shiny and reflects light, the tape ends tend to unravel after time in the field.
I'm sure that with the combined brain power of the long range community, a better solution exists.

Please feel free to post your suggestions or pics of your methods.

Thank in advance,
Vic

In order to cut down on the shinyness, try sandpaper on the tape. I put mine on the inside and top of the stock just behind where my trigger hand would be so I can do a quick look just by turning my head. I'm lefty and mine is on the upper right side of the stock.

I put mine on the cheek piece. I feel I lose too much time, and time just prior to the shot is vitally important, if I put it somewhere on the stock where I have to shift position to see it.

I also have a printed version laying on the shooting mat along with the PDA. The version laying on the mat is the most handy. To the point where the one on the stock may go away.

For some strange reason the ol' mind seems to go into warp speed when the target animal is grazing towards the timber.:(

Drop Charts

I use a seperate chart rather than one attached to the rifle, as it can lay on the ground in front of me when I'm setting up for the shot and consulted with less disturbance than otherwise would be the case.
Usually I laminate the chart and tie it to the range finder, one is not much use without the other!
My charts are also in 25 yard increments, but I start at 100 and go to 700 on one side of the page, and the reverse has 400 -1000- I include drop in inches, as it is handy when you are set up for 600 and something shows at say 620- a quick check tells me that there is about 8 inches drop between 600 and 625, so the round will be 6-7 inches low and off we go.
I find the short side of the card covers varminting and goats, and the long side covers my deer spot.
Regards
Ross

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas. RossN, I like your idea of putting the range card on your Range Finder. That makes a lot of sense. As you say, one goes with the other. That would allow my rifle to be free of stuff.
I should have mentioned that use this for hunting situations, so the card should not be loose, as it would have a high probability of getting lost if not attached to other gear in some manner.
Milanuk, thank's for the link. I actually make my own Butler Creek Scope Cap Labels, but mine correlate yardages to my Mil-Dot reticle in my scope. So mine has a picture of the mil-dot reticle with a specific range at each dot that tells me where my bullet hits on each dot. It's kind of a reverse calculation used when time is of the essence or I forgot my range card.

Thanks to all,
Vic

leupold?

they have a product that is more compact but attaches to your scope similar to another turret cap that allows you to scroll out a chart that retracts .. looks good, gives me enough to change my p.o.i. out to six hundred yards in 50 y increments

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.