Ballistic calculator issues

I realized you don't actually have to fire the rifle to check the scope elevation per click. Just mount in a vise and put a target with inch or smaller graduations at 100 yards exactly. Aim the scope at the top line, then go up 40 clicks and it should be aiming about 10 inches lower. Elevation per click can be easily calculated.

That's the plan for Saturday. My gun vise on the shooting bench aimed at a 1" grid target and will check the scopes tracking. I will report my findings either way. We generally shoot early morning to avoid winds, so the day I was having issues it was in the 50's and I didn't notice any mirage effects. I have shot other times when I could tell there was some for sure, but not this rifle and conditions. Barrel heat can do that I know, but it's a fluted #4 Sporter barrel and 3 shot groups is about all I can do without it getting warm. I try to sight in with minimal barrel heat because of it being basically a cold bore shot when in hunting conditions.

Getting ready for a cow elk hunt. Taking my 7mm Practical, 180gr ELDM over 87grs of US869 powder. 5 shots across my magnetospeed showed 3063,3067,3071,3097 and 3089. Avg of 3077 is what I got. My issue is if I input those inputs into Strelok the data it puts out don't jive with actual shooting results. I'm just charting my actual come ups in MOA and going to go with actual shooting results rather than calculated data but I'm not sure why? Strelok data works for my 308 and my 30-338 Winchester, but this rifle has always seemed to not line up with what the info says. I may perform a box tracking test on my scope. That's the only thing I can think of is the 1/4 MOA clicks are not moving 1/4 MOA. It seems to return to zero fine though. If I dial to a yardage and come back to zero my 200 yard zero seems to repeat. Nikon X1000 Black 4-16x50. Think I'm barking up the right tree?
Ditch the Strelock, switch to Hornady 4DoF w/ zero angle.

I did NOT read every response,
So I will just say, that every single load I have done, I HAVE to true my DOPE>
after my load had been verified, I go to 500 yards and adjust my G7 BC to fit the poi on the target.
I am usually high, sometimes almost a foot, which means I raise my G7 BC to fit the hit
When I am within an inch I still play with it and verify it, I am good out a 1000 yards once I do this
Its just part of the strelock and Kestrel setup for long range shooting
You can read about it in the Kestrel manuel. Its a must do if you want to be true.
By the way, I have the same scope, and would love to sell it.

Getting ready for a cow elk hunt. Taking my 7mm Practical, 180gr ELDM over 87grs of US869 powder. 5 shots across my magnetospeed showed 3063,3067,3071,3097 and 3089. Avg of 3077 is what I got. My issue is if I input those inputs into Strelok the data it puts out don't jive with actual shooting results. I'm just charting my actual come ups in MOA and going to go with actual shooting results rather than calculated data but I'm not sure why? Strelok data works for my 308 and my 30-338 Winchester, but this rifle has always seemed to not line up with what the info says. I may perform a box tracking test on my scope. That's the only thing I can think of is the 1/4 MOA clicks are not moving 1/4 MOA. It seems to return to zero fine though. If I dial to a yardage and come back to zero my 200 yard zero seems to repeat. Nikon X1000 Black 4-16x50. Think I'm barking up the right tree?
Could be scope, chrono fps, bullet bc. Sometimes stuff doesn't jive completely. I use Applied Ballistics, so I can train/true the app to the actual drop at range, at distance. Once dope is trued, its spot on. And Applied Ballistics adjusts perfectly for altitude and temp changes in your environment.

Sounds like tons of good advice here. Personally, we have never found all the printed data to be 100%. We pick our days to get our dope straight, and then find more calm days to verify it, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot and shoot to make sure we can hit what we're shooting at, at the ranges we are shooting. And I could not agree more Kestrel is your friend.

I really like my FX1000.....with that being said, it did have a .96 correction factor. I went through the same thing with mine, was giving me incorrect adjustments, but would always return to zero. I ended up having really good data from distance and was able to calculate my correction factor. Since then I have had zero issues with it. Good luck with your testing, I'm interested to hear what you figure out?

Know one has mentioned it but Nikon is no longer making Rifle scopes. I have one but I think you're trying to true a dead horse. Not saying their not a great scope and I have a couple of friends that swear by them but Just saying!

There's all sorts of things you can do or not be doing. Don't waste your time with the Tall Target test unless you are dying to know if it's your scope that's off.

Bottom line is, you always TRUE your Calculator to your actual data! 0-600 yards you true the velocity, yes it will be different from your Chrono, then past 600... I'd say 800 yards plus, you stop truing the velocity and true the BC of the bullet. that's the standard with any Ballistics Calculator. Don't worry what it is telling you, they are almost always off to some degree. Go with your DOPE.
Exactly why I said stretch it out and true data in app. 100% agree

not a scope I'd trust my life with when compared to Nightforce, ZCo etc. I sold all my Niokon's great cameras... that's about it
I would have to agree. I had a couple Nikon scopes and wound up giving them away. Decent cameras but there is a reason they don't make scopes anymore.
I have used StrelokPro for several years and found it to be on for me but I have never used it beyond 750 yards so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I would double check all my information in StrelokPro and/or consider trying a different scope. Hope you get it worked out.

My biggest problem with shooting apps is the fact that North Idaho has such dramatic elevation and temperature changes that simply driving a mile or two up the road can make a huge difference in where the impact is going to be.
I always had problems with strelok myself. When I figured out the true zero on 4dof everything came together. I sent in my viper thinking it was way off on my 300 mag but it turned out that my point of impact inputs were incorrect. Switching over to a match grade die with the proper insert and getting away from Hornady custom dies cut my group size in half.