Baiting coyotes

The best being a bait behind my house with a motion sensor on it that wakes me up when something is on the bait
I've been wanting a setup just like that. Can you tell me about your setup and where you got the gear? Many thanks!

Hi guys n gals. Ive been winter baiting coyotes for a few years now with fairly good success. I generally use beaver carcass,deer scraps,beef scraps and occasionally some moose parts frozen together with added dog food. The proverbial "meatcicle",which lasts well and keeps the dogs coming to my.204 ruger death pill. It creates very little hide damage, and I haven't had a single exit hole with 32 gr Hornaday V-Max Varmint express factory ammo. My New England Firearms Handi-Rifle is topped with a 3x15 x50mm Pentax Lightseeker,it does a superb job out to 300yd. It may not be fancy but it is functional with its 24" bull barrel. Good luck and shoot straight. Remember to always enjoy the outdoors

I put out my deer carcass last winter hoping to hunt over it, I got busy and didn't get back to hunt over it for almost 2 weeks, when I came back it was already picked clean. I have been saving a load of scraps in the freezer for future baiting purposes.

So if you're using just what's left after butchering your deer, be aware that just that little bit of meat won't last long once they find it. Speaking of which, last winter I came across a cow elk that had been hit on the hwy, it was about 2am. She was still alive and looked like she wasn't too beat up so I thought she had a chance to make it and I let her be. I drove back by at 8am and she was already about 2/3's eaten by what I assume was coyotes. Point being that they can clean up darn fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.