BAD remington experience

I wonder why the US military and almost every police agency on the continent uses remington actions for their precision bolt rifles???
Maybe someone should warn them that all their rifles are duds!! ;-)

Well for everyone that wants to give me ****, fine, I own 3 remingtons. Point is the man that designed them of course the 721 was the first but then the 700 new that it was not up to par trigger wise and wanted to change it in 1964 but remington never did. Oh and by the way it was the millitary doing the the testing, M24 sws every third or fourth shot they tried to take, they would pull the trigger and it would not fire, then they would reach up and tap the bolt with their fingers and the would go off. Model 700 is a good platform, everyone makes parts for them so all I have to use is the reciever. Has remington made some nice rifles, yes they have, have they made some cheap pieces of ****, yes they have. I'm not biased but apparently you all are.

I saw the same documentary where the old guy was saying that he tried to get remington to change the triggers way back when and in the same report the milatary was showing how a rifle would A/D when you touched the bolt...

I guess that we are supposed to believe the old guy that was on tv saying that he tried his best to get remington to change the triggers just because HE SAID IT and I guess that we are to suppose that the millatary armorers didnt attempt to adjust the triggers and sear engagement settings on the rifles in question to make them lighter and more accurate... just because it was on tv or the internet or printed somewhere doesn't make it so.

And it came from the factory with a FLAW! The response i got was "I recently purchased a Remington sendero in 7mm mag. Took a couple months to save up for my mark 4 scope but finally got it before labor day weekend. Got my scope mounted and test loads made and headed to the range. Needless to say, I was excited to sit behind my new rifle. To make a long story short, I got to shoot it twice because it wouldn't eject my first brass. I used my cleaning to tap it out and thought I would try it again. Same result. I examined brass and bolt and found nothing wrong but didn't even have a nick on the brass where the extractor tried to get it. This happened on noon sept 2. I immediately called Remington but they were already closed for the holiday weekend by 3:00 their time. Now i'm ****ed. Really ****ed. I took the rifle to my FFL. To be sent back to Remington. They said they would contact Remington and send the rifle back as soon as Remington sent them the required tag to place on the rifle to be sent back. THAT TOOK 2 WEEKS! Just to get the tag so my FFL can send it back! NOW I'M REALLY ****ED! So I call Remington to see how long it will be before I get my rifle and they say 4 weeks! ***???? They say that they have to take the rifles in the order they receive them. I explained that my rifle was new and the response I got was "once it is in your name it's used". So now I will be waiting 6 and a half weeks for my NEW rifle that I received with a factory FLAW! I missed the high hunt with it and will probably miss general season with it as well. Remington is lacking. Lacking in customer service and quality control. My FFL said they have sent 5 new remingtons back this year that all had factory flaws. I know a lot of people love Remington but I thought I would share a story from the other side. Feel free to email this to remington

Its always best to have a backup gun ... savage would be my choice

No, I suppose you don't have to believe the designer, but if you designed it and later realized that there was a better safer alternative, wouldn't you fix it, or settle some 2500+ lawsuits. And yes the military sets all the triggers on their sniper weapons systems between 32 and 36ozs, the pull weight is not the issue, my model 700 300wsm has went off only once, luckly pointed at the ground but all I was doing was closing the bolt with the safety on, right hand on bolt left on foreend it almost broke my thumb and that was an xmark trigger. One tubbs speed lock and one Jewell trigger later I have had it down to 12ozs and have yet to have a problem. As for the millitary and law enforcement contracts, remington was the lowest bidder considering maintainence was part of the contract. The millitary also never had any issues with the Bravo 51 aka Kate II but the 700 reciever and bolt were the only remington parts plus it was a short action. The M24s were long actions because when they were over hauled there were 3 chamberings available obviously the 308 was one but the 300wm and 338LM.were options so they were bases on long actions. Anything else someone wants to school me in?

Most likely it was just a small sliver of brass under the extractor. Same thig happened to my M700 Milspec 5R .223. It's a quick fix if that's what it was.

Well for everyone that wants to give me ****, fine, I own 3 remingtons. Point is the man that designed them of course the 721 was the first but then the 700 new that it was not up to par trigger wise and wanted to change it in 1964 but remington never did. Oh and by the way it was the millitary doing the the testing, M24 sws every third or fourth shot they tried to take, they would pull the trigger and it would not fire, then they would reach up and tap the bolt with their fingers and the would go off. Model 700 is a good platform, everyone makes parts for them so all I have to use is the reciever. Has remington made some nice rifles, yes they have, have they made some cheap pieces of ****, yes they have. I'm not biased but apparently you all are.
No one has ever been able to make an M 700 fire as claimed if they were set up within factory specs and properly maintained.

When you try to tune things out of spec and don't prperly maintain them you can't blame the manufacturer.

With the early model 700's there absolutely was an issue with some firing when the safety was disengaged. Those rifles were recalled and prepaired and the safety mechanism was redesigned and replaced circa 73-75.

Not a single court case has been won suing over the more recent (last twenty years) claims about unintended firings.

Yep is you screw with something enough you can screw it up.

As for the M-24, I have more than 20,000 rounds through M-24's and never had nor did I ever see that problem. All of the triggers on my 700's have always been set at 1.5lbs or less as well.

There are more than 2 million M700's and M721's in the US alone and even more plaintiff lawyers would would be more than happy to retire over a class action suit against remington if there were any truth to the claims.

I can only share my experiences with remingtons I have shot.. most of them I shot were cheaply made pieces of junk. But Ive heard nice things about them. Everyone has them around here because they are cheap, you can find parts for them easily, and if you have a problem i can guarentee SOMEONE SOMEWHERE around here has had the same problem and can come up with a quick fix. That... and they are american made.. But I wont own one because they feel generic to me and they are constantly in need of work. One of my best buddies I went to school with has a gun shop down town. (he and his dad run the place). He told me that the top selling gun is a remington 700 and a Savage "edge". But the gun the gun that gets the most complaints is the remington. They have more remingtons on the shelf (consignment) because everyone wants to get rid of them. He also said that he ships more remmy guns off to the smith than any other firearm in the shop... BUT i can only go on my experiences..

I'm no engineer, or mechanic, or gunsmith, or garage tinkerer, I am a menace with tools don't alter anything from the factory myself, nor have I fired tens of thousands of rounds. I'm not a legal expert, and can't cite case numbers so perhaps the lawsuits around the issue are internet legend as well.
I have seen slam fires, and rifles go off when disengaging the safety on Remington rifles, and only on Remington rifles. My closest circle of trusted hunting partners have had this happen to them as well. I've known gunsmiths that made a pretty good living fixing new Remingtons right before, and during hunting season.
These things also stopped happening when quality aftermarket triggers were installed.
My first rifle was a 721, it only shot after everything on it was either replaced, or repaired.
The only Remington I currently own started life as a 600, and pretty much the same story there, not much left that says Remington on it. At some point I finally asked Why am I doing this? Didn't come up with a good answer, so I don't anymore.
Perhaps I'm just statistically unlucky, Ford vs Chevy, I don't know, but my range and field time has been more enjoyable without Remington.
Like the song says as for me and grandma we believe.

...thats why ya always keep a dusty ol Sav 111 .270 in the corner. So you can go hunt when the overpriced rifles from defense contractors fail to perform. Rem makes so much money off the govt ( $3800.00 ea to convert 308s to 300wm ! REALLY !!! ) they really no longer care about retail. It's all profits, and the profit is decidedly not in retail. Sorry about your troubles.

....didnt grandma get dealt with by a drunk driving santa in that song???
A reindeer with a pre-recall steering mechanism malfunction...of course there are those that believe the union backed elves conspiracy theories that "magic dust" has turned the North Pole into an unsafe work place, and Santa's "moods" rise to the level of hostile... and they will only return to work after he completes rehab!

I usually don't chime in, so I want to apologize in advance. When you are dealing with companies that mass produce a product, through machining, etc, there is always a chance of production issues. These companies pump out thousands of units in a day, and sometimes are not aware of the production issue until there is a mass return on that particular product.

I have several rifles, as we all do, and can tell you that I have had minor - major problems with just about every brand. Thirty years ago, PRE-LAWSUIT era, I had a brand new rifle that had less than 100 rounds of factory ammo put down the throat. I started noticing problems with accuracy and ejected cases. Turns out that a hairline crack formed in the chamber, that eventually would have caused a serious health issue. I was 12 at the time and my dad called the company, inquiring about the 30 calibre handgrenade he just bought for his son. The company made good on it, but what a catastrophe.

Different brand rifle, 15 years later, ejection problems/accuracy issue (minute of buckshot at 100 yards). By the way, this was a factory rifle I bought off the shelf that was nearly a grand back then (1moa guarantee off the shelf). After taking it to the gunshop, turned out that the ejector was bad, and the throat had severe imperfections. Factory made good on it, but it was a process.

I feel for anyone that spends their hard earned money to purchase problems. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with it, nor am I defending it, but I expect it at some point.

Just my two cents, for what its worth........

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts