BAD remington experience

I wonder why the US military and almost every police agency on the continent uses remington actions for their precision bolt rifles???
Maybe someone should warn them that all their rifles are duds!! ;-)

actually my local police department knows about the accedental missfires, as one cop shot a hole thru the quarter panel in his crown Vic! He still gets razzed about it this very day!!
gary

I saw the same documentary where the old guy was saying that he tried to get remington to change the triggers way back when and in the same report the milatary was showing how a rifle would A/D when you touched the bolt...

I guess that we are supposed to believe the old guy that was on tv saying that he tried his best to get remington to change the triggers just because HE SAID IT and I guess that we are to suppose that the millatary armorers didnt attempt to adjust the triggers and sear engagement settings on the rifles in question to make them lighter and more accurate... just because it was on tv or the internet or printed somewhere doesn't make it so.

That old guy was Mr. Mike Walker; a legend in his own time. The 40x was his baby as was the 721, 722, and the 700 series rifles. You'd probably have to bring Stewart Otteson back from the grave to find someone with more knowledge on bolt action rifles. When Mike speaks the shooting community listens up.
gary

no one has ever been able to make an m 700 fire as claimed if they were set up within factory specs and properly maintained.

When you try to tune things out of spec and don't prperly maintain them you can't blame the manufacturer.

With the early model 700's there absolutely was an issue with some firing when the safety was disengaged. Those rifles were recalled and prepaired and the safety mechanism was redesigned and replaced circa 73-75.

Not a single court case has been won suing over the more recent (last twenty years) claims about unintended firings.

Yep is you screw with something enough you can screw it up.

As for the m-24, i have more than 20,000 rounds through m-24's and never had nor did i ever see that problem. All of the triggers on my 700's have always been set at 1.5lbs or less as well.

There are more than 2 million m700's and m721's in the us alone and even more plaintiff lawyers would would be more than happy to retire over a class action suit against remington if there were any truth to the claims.

i have!

Remington's customer service sucks big time. I'll sell or give a defective Remington away before I'll waste the money shipping into Remington. Their customer service department is operated to make money. Not provide customer service.

But I'll never have the experience again. Because the only 700 I'll ever own is one that's been completely trued and tuned by a competent gunsmith.

And I won't buy any more Remington shotguns. Their 870 Magnum is the one I had my bad experience with. It wouldn't eject Remington-Peters 3" Magnum shells. Remington said they didn't own or make that ammo anymore. Told me to use some other brands of ammo. Charged me about $90 and it worked better before I sent it to them. Sold it after Remington was unwilling to fix their defect.

This from a guy that's owned and shot guns for 45 years now, with a relative who's been a gunsmith for the past 30 + years, and examined the model 870 before I shipped it back for repairs.

God bless you if you get a good Remington. Good for you. You get a lemon, don't bother to ship it back to Remington. They'll only take your money a second time, and they'll make it as difficult as possible to accomplish anything.

Hey..., I actually feel pretty good about now... :D :D :D

I don't care if it was Mike Walker, George Washington or Santa Claus himself that designed the whole Remington 700, I am still going to disagree that EVERY 700 since '62 was bad! You can fling names out there like they are supposed to be the undisputed guru of rifle designers, but I still say that not all 700's were bad! You can go along with the one sided report against remington all you want, but your not going to change my mind.

TMF, if you have had such bad experiences with remington I can only say one thing... Don't shoot 'em! You have picked apart many of the posts and you have had something to say about almost everyone posting, like you are agreeing with the person that says all 700's are bad... Sounds like you got an officer that cant keep his finger off the trigger in your p.d., you have a 700 that will fire by itself, Mike Walker is a legend in your eyes, you had a bad 223 that you had your smith alter, know someone with a bad scope experience and you like weatherbys. But you did have a 270 700 shooter once...

Its your right to post what you want to and pick our opinions apart, but I hope you don't think that someone isn't going to comment about what you have said, especially when you quote our posts. Also, I don't mean any disrespect to the gentleman that you quoted his name, Mike Walker. I don't know him (as you probably don't either) so don't just put someones name out there like I am supposed to KNOW not to disagree with his beliefs because YOU say he knows his stuff.

Blackknight, Gary has probably forgot more than you know. Don't be a wise ***, if it wasn't for Mike Walker you wouldn't be shooting your precious model 700s because they wouldn't exist, know you can open your mouth long enough to switch feet.

I have heard that the glue that is used to lock the adjustment screws in place has turned brittle over time and has caused the screws to back out. This could be an issue some are having. Super Glue wont work as i learned the hard way. Now its got LockTite on it.

Remington's customer service sucks big time. I'll sell or give a defective Remington away before I'll waste the money shipping into Remington. Their customer service department is operated to make money. Not provide customer service.

But I'll never have the experience again. Because the only 700 I'll ever own is one that's been completely trued and tuned by a competent gunsmith.

And I won't buy any more Remington shotguns. Their 870 Magnum is the one I had my bad experience with. It wouldn't eject Remington-Peters 3" Magnum shells. Remington said they didn't own or make that ammo anymore. Told me to use some other brands of ammo. Charged me about $90 and it worked better before I sent it to them. Sold it after Remington was unwilling to fix their defect.

This from a guy that's owned and shot guns for 45 years now, with a relative who's been a gunsmith for the past 30 + years, and examined the model 870 before I shipped it back for repairs.

God bless you if you get a good Remington. Good for you. You get a lemon, don't bother to ship it back to Remington. They'll only take your money a second time, and they'll make it as difficult as possible to accomplish anything.

Hey..., I actually feel pretty good about now... :D :D :D

I've owned many Remington shotguns over the years without a problem (all were pumps and over and unders). But I never really liked the way the cut the stock on their O/U guns as they were fight to swing left and right. Later I came into a Browning BPS with the English stock, and was completely ruined! I now have a Beratta 20 gauge with the english stock and simply love it. Also own three Italian O/U's that have the standard stock, but they balance and swing better. My turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 with the back bored barrel. I really couldn't ask for a better pump shotgun to hunt turkey with. Yet none of these are in the same class with a Bernadelli Hemingway in 16 gauge! I want one real bad before I finally croak!
gary

I have heard that the glue that is used to lock the adjustment screws in place has turned brittle over time and has caused the screws to back out. This could be an issue some are having. Super Glue wont work as i learned the hard way. Now its got LockTite on it.

I think Remington uses Vibratite as a small screw thread locker. This is good stuff, and lasts forever. If they used red Loctite you'd never be able to make an adjustment, and even blue 242 is too much for those very small screws. 222 would be best, but Vibratite is probably even better.
gary

Well i kinda just thought back to the days of being 12-13 and taking off someones lug nuts, cleaning them really well with alcohol and applying a liberal coat of red loctite. I think we made the road safer. I know they never came off.

Ill try the Vibratite any ideas where to pick some up or is it a brownells special order?

I don't hold it against a company as much for putting out a lemon every now and then, as much as I do when they refuse to acknowledge the lemon(s), and correct their hiccup(s).

Blackknight, Gary has probably forgot more than you know. Don't be a wise ***, if it wasn't for Mike Walker you wouldn't be shooting your precious model 700s because they wouldn't exist, know you can open your mouth long enough to switch feet.

Backwoods83,

I never said anything about how much Gary knows, and if you had read the last paragraph of my last post I specifically said that I meant no disrespect to the man whose name he used. I also stated the it was his right to pick our posts and opinions apart but to expect a comment back.

And last but surely not least, I said nothing to you or about you so this will be the only post aimed at you no matter what you may or may not post back at me... and as far as opening my mouth, until I do something to be banned from this forum, DO NOT call me down on this or any other open forum. You sir do not know me well enough to know how much I do or do not know and you **** sure don't know me well enough to call me down on an open forum and call me a wise ***! I sir am not a child and I do not want to be talked down to like one. I have opinions and it is my right to post them, just like it is yours but when you call me a wise *** and tell me to take my foot out of my mouth just so I can put the other one in it, I take offense to that! So I am done posting on this thread, as it has gotten way off track by now anyway.

"they would pull the (700's) trigger and it would not fire, "

Now THAT one I find hard to believe! Maybe impossible. I'd suggest anyone who thinks Remingtons are sub-par try a Cooper next time, I understand their quality control and repair time is excellant.

Those Mod. 700 "touch the bolt" ADs come from a single cause; someone has ajusted the sear engagement so tiny that any movement of the bolt can allow the sear engagment to release. Any fool with a 1/4" end wrench and 1/8" flat blade screwdriver can do it.

Merle (Mike) Walker is a friend of mine (I'm 70 and he's about 20 years older. He's gotten somewhat weak and feeble the last few years and is nearly deaf now but he's still quite a guy!). Mike did want to slightly modify the trigger assembly not long after the 721/722 series started but management really didn't think there was a problem so it didn't happen. The original safety/bolt block demanded the safety be released before the action could be opened to empty the magazine. The 'safety' modification that occurred in the late 60s was only to remove the safety lever's bolt locking extension so the bolt could be opened for unloading with the safety engaged; there was no internal change to the fire control system.

Some people not only don't properly clean their rifles but don't exercise proper muzzle control either. Together that has combined to kill a few people. The cause of the 700's accidental firing when the safety is taken off is (usually) from a long time build-up of oily gunk inside the fire control/trigger housing. All oils eventually dry and many will leave a kind of varnish-like goo (WD-40 is horrible for that). Unless it's cleaned occasionally the goo eventually gets so thick the trigger's floating 'connector' can't reset properly. So if the trigger is pulled with the safety on, the firing pin will be released when the safety is released.

Mike designed us an excellant sporting rifle with a HUNTING TRIGGER that could be made at modest cost; it was never intended to be a target trigger and we should not expect to adjust it to be so but some have tried. With proper annual cleaning and re-oiling with a decent non-gumming oil that trigger will work fine forever. But don't try to reduce the trigger pull, engagement and over travel to match a Jewel. If you want a target trigger on your 700 buy the Jewel ... but be prepaired to pay a large percentage of the retail price of a new Mod. 700 for it.

So far as quality control for any consumer product made to sell as low as possible goes, wouldn't it be nice if everything we buy could be as good and error free as a UAW union made auto?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.