Bad barrel

Earlier this year I replaced the barrel on a 22- 250 with a Krieger. (I've been using Bartlein or Krieger) I had a heck of a time getting it to shoot. After I did all the things Krieger suggested they were willing to replace the barrel.

From Krieger FAQ on website:
Depending on the nature of the problem we ask that the customer take some steps before calling. First, if this is an accuracy issue try changing to a known good scope, tighten mounts, rings, insure stock bedding is proper, action screws are properly torqued, try different bullets/loads/seating depth etc.

If all of this is checked and tried, then have the gunsmith that performed the work on the rifle, or another gunsmith check that work. Many times an accuracy issue is the result of a poor crown or a chamber that is not straight, or simply an ammunition issue (see the Proper Reloading Practices article above).

If all of this has been checked and found to be proper then you are more than welcome to send the barrels to us for inspection. We do require that if you send a barrel back to us that you supply the original serial number that was on the barrel when it shipped. This tells not only that it is a Krieger Barrel but also other information that will be helpful to us when investigating your problem.

As a last resort I tried another different bullet. This seemed to basically work. However, in hindsight, I haven't really proved it out because I was tired of messing with it. I should probably get that rifle out again and see if i really have a load that works.

I recently had some frustration with a .280 ai build. I had built a 280 ai for myself and my long time hunting partner and friend wanted one as well. We put one together for him using basically al the same components just in a different color. Mine shoots well and still does but his was never consistent. The same smith and reamer was used as well as the same loads initially. The rifle would print good one day then be way off the next while mine was always consistent. After believing I just had the figure out the right combination for way to long we scrapped it and redid the barrel. We turned it into a 7mag with a new barrel and opened up bolt face and now it shoots great with Berger 168's. I recently sent in the barrel and they said it had a scratch near the muzzle but they could not prove it. The company also said that there is no way it could have been that way from the start. I'm super frustrated and borderline never want to use their barrels again. I tried to explain that all the others barrels that I have of theirs are treated the same cleaned the same and shoot well but this one just never seemed to print. I'm basically SOL and eating the cost of a re barrel for a rifle that we never were able to use. Has this ever happened to someone?
Yes. I have even asked the smith to let me shoot them, before coating and putting a break on. I now only flute if it comes that way from the barrel maker. Smith's should always bore scope the barrel before starting work. I am not a expert, I only like Accurate rifles.

i thought I had an issue with a shillen match barrel years ago. After the break in, I put 50 rounds down range and no group was less than 1 1/4". I took it back to the custom shop for an inspection, the gunsmith found nothing wrong with the barrel. Back to the range and another 50 rounds of various bullets, powder, brass, primer and seating depths were tried. This time, a couple of groups printed under an inch. PROGRESS. At about 150 rounds, nearly all groups were now under and inch. At 200 rounds, groups shrank to 1/2" - now, I was happy. Apparently, there was a flaw near the muzzle that wore down and took 200 rounds to do so. For the last 1000 rounds, this 300 WSM has printed 3/4" 5 shot groups religiously.

Sorry for the loss. Premium barrels are not cheap and take forever to get these days.

I slug and bore scope each barrel as soon as I get it. If there are any red flags, they go back. I've had questionable barrel performances. Life's too short to take a chance on bad barrel. As others have pointed out, a barrel can look good but shoot poorly. Its also frustrating when a barrel doesn't like the bullet you want to shoot.

Earlier this year I replaced the barrel on a 22- 250 with a Krieger. (I've been using Bartlein or Krieger) I had a heck of a time getting it to shoot. After I did all the things Krieger suggested they were willing to replace the barrel.

Depending on the nature of the problem we ask that the customer take some steps before calling. First, if this is an accuracy issue try changing to a known good scope, tighten mounts, rings, insure stock bedding is proper, action screws are properly torqued, try different bullets/loads/seating depth etc.

If all of this is checked and tried, then have the gunsmith that performed the work on the rifle, or another gunsmith check that work. Many times an accuracy issue is the result of a poor crown or a chamber that is not straight, or simply an ammunition issue (see the Proper Reloading Practices article above).

If all of this has been checked and found to be proper then you are more than welcome to send the barrels to us for inspection. We do require that if you send a barrel back to us that you supply the original serial number that was on the barrel when it shipped. This tells not only that it is a Krieger Barrel but also other information that will be helpful to us when investigating your problem.

As a last resort I tried another different bullet. This seemed to basically work. However, in hindsight, I haven't really proved it out because I was tired of messing with it. I should probably get that rifle out again and see if i really have a load that works.
LOL - Don;t give up now. :)

Most times you have to go the start when you fit a new barrel.there no guarantee that your favourite load/powder/primer combinations will work as well as they did previously,it took me about 300 rounds of different powder/bullet combos in my 223 to find a great setup.Now 60gn Amax/22.5gnsRL10,Fed match primer and it puts it through the eye of a needle at 100M without fail especially when the Temp.is about 60F.

I put a Douglas air gauged top of their line on a Mauser action for a hunting rifle and I have had hell trying to find a load, but like it's been mentioned I have about 200 rds through and it has decided to settle down.
I build my own guns so if I blame the smith that finger is pointed at me. I do not have a scope so I have no idea what it looked like out of the box, but I've never had a Douglas barrel do this. I did not contact Douglas so I can't say what they would have done. Maybe I had a scratch somewhere in barrel who knows.
Hindsight being what it is I wished I'd contacted Douglas to see what they had to say.

The orriginal post said, "After believing I just had the figure out the right combination for way to long...." I interpret this to mean some time passed before trying to get the barrel maker to remedy the situation. This could make a difference in their response.

I put a Douglas air gauged top of their line on a Mauser action for a hunting rifle and I have had hell trying to find a load, but like it's been mentioned I have about 200 rds through and it has decided to settle down.
I build my own guns so if I blame the smith that finger is pointed at me. I do not have a scope so I have no idea what it looked like out of the box, but I've never had a Douglas barrel do this. I did not contact Douglas so I can't say what they would have done. Maybe I had a scratch somewhere in barrel who knows.
Hindsight being what it is I wished I'd contacted Douglas to see what they had to say.

You can get a Teslong bore scope for around $50 .