Bad barrel

ofdscooby

I recently had some frustration with a .280 ai build. I had built a 280 ai for myself and my long time hunting partner and friend wanted one as well. We put one together for him using basically al the same components just in a different color. Mine shoots well and still does but his was never consistent. The same smith and reamer was used as well as the same loads initially. The rifle would print good one day then be way off the next while mine was always consistent. After believing I just had the figure out the right combination for way to long we scrapped it and redid the barrel. We turned it into a 7mag with a new barrel and opened up bolt face and now it shoots great with Berger 168's. I recently sent in the barrel and they said it had a scratch near the muzzle but they could not prove it. The company also said that there is no way it could have been that way from the start. I'm super frustrated and borderline never want to use their barrels again. I tried to explain that all the others barrels that I have of theirs are treated the same cleaned the same and shoot well but this one just never seemed to print. I'm basically SOL and eating the cost of a re barrel for a rifle that we never were able to use. Has this ever happened to someone?

Sorry to hear that.
When I was training dogs many years ago we used to say "There Are No Bad Dogs-Only Bad Owners"
Some companies take that with when they send a barrel to a gunsmith. This company should have taken the barrel back-examined it-and if it was not touched by a gunsmith or they found issues with the rifiling, they should have replace it,
You should or your smith should check out the barrel when you receive it (scope it). Another thing you can have a prefect looking barrel and it won't shoot. That's where a reputable company will back their barrels up.

The other barrels seem to work great.

jabobs first groups.jpg

Well it was Bartline so I'm a little disappointed to say the least. Bought the barrel through Bugholes.
Bartlein didn't offer to replace a CFW barrel I purchased from them either. It's as if a bad barrel never leaves their shop. If it doesn't shoot, the barrel isn't to blame. $1,200 gone. Back to square one...

Yeah when I talked to them it's like none of us know how to deal with rifles and a bad barrel never slips by them

That's surprising - I've only had positive experiences with Bartlein, hence why I have four of their barrels in my safe currently. Sorry to hear they wouldn't offer to rectify the situation.

Had a 6.5BR built a number of years ago. Smith test fired one round said all was good. Took it home, first patch down the barrel portrayed more than just a one shot test fire. Patch was torn and just did not look right. Scrubbed it clean started a one shot/clean break in. First three shots barely in a 4" circle. Took it back had it re crowned. scrubbed clean started over. All the while patches coming out rough. Same 4" group. Stopped by another gunsmiths shop and bore scoped it. 2" in front of the chamber was a big gouge 3/4" long 1/16" wide plus multiple other small ones. Assumption was the original smith did not clean the barrel prior to the one test fired round causing the bullet to push cuttings in front of it. Will never know for sure if it was a barrel issue or smith issue. New barrel and new smith that gun still shoots bug holes.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Bartline I think they are tip top of the list for quality. I also have to look at it from their prospective they get a barrel that has a scratch in it and they aren't just gonna hand out a barrel. I just wish they could prove what they are claiming is wrong with barrel as fact and not just something I'm supposed to take their word on. I may look at other barrel makers in the future that offer me a little more protection from something like this.

LongRifles, Inc, is where I've ordered my replacement barrel. Chad Dixon has been using K&P cut-rifled barrels for some time now on custom rifle builds in his shop. He's now teamed up with K&P, and barrels can be ordered on LRI's website. If the barrel doesn't shoot, LRI claims it will be replaced. He must have developed confidence in the quality of the K&P barrels...

I can't report a Fairy Tale ending yet. My barrel is currently being manufactured. I hope this merry-go-round ends up spitting out a shooter. I don't require a one-holer. 1/2 moa is sufficient, and shouldn't be difficult with any quality barrel mounted on a BAT HR action, bedded into a McMillan stock.