backpack rifle build

bcdeford

So for my next rifle I want to build a long range folder that is under 8.5 lb full system but capable of 1000yd accuracy. Hear is my plan. 700 action chambered for either 6.5 creedmoor or .260. 20 inch barrel on a XLR folding chassis. I have done the wilderness hunt thing packing 12-15 lb guns plus optics plus wayt o much gear and have decided light and spartan is the way to go. anybody have some tips or suggestions to share?
gun)

Eberlestock has a new folding stock that looks nice for a 700. Maybe go with a cabon wrapped barrel. For that I would look at a 7wsm or 7 saum. That's my input.

Im looking forward to seeing the price tag and the overall weight for that chassis. It folds down shorter than any other stock I have looked at. what is your argument for the 7mm's though? personal preference or do you have a theory behind that?

Are you looking for 1000 yard paper accuracy or game accuracy? Past 800 yards with those rounds is really going to be pushing it for anything over coyote size and particularly with that short of a barrel. The 7mm will be a better choice for those ranges, I personally would say 300wsm just due to the extra punch. Other thing I personally would consider if your looking for compact would be a Lrh pistol in either 6.5wsm, 7wsm,300wsm but again just my preference. Don't get me wrong I love my .260 and would definitely run one for general light weight pack gun but they just don't have the punchpast 750 ish yards that most prefer. My 300wsm tikka weighs in at 8.5 scoped and with a break on it I find it fun to shoot rather than just bearable. But if I want manuverability and or won't have shots over 150 yards I run my ruger blackhawk in a shoulder holster

My ar-10 6.5 creedmoor with a 24 inch barrel is still shooting over 1500 fps and about 775 Energy ft-lbs with 140 gr bergers at 1000yards. Granted a barrel 2-4 inches shorter may affect that some but I think I can still do 800 yards minimum with a 6.5 creedmoor. If I were to ackley a .260 I could more. I am partial to the 6.5s because they hold there energy so well vise the .30 cals I used to shoot.

That sounds pretty hot paticularly for a creed, I'm not running a custom action mind you so my tolerance levels aren't what they could be; but in my 26 inch barrel savage Target hot loads run me in the 2910 fps range before I pop primers. (this may change when I switch to lapua brass rather than RP). Again I'm not down playing the .260 or creed but according to shooter balistics cal you need about 2870 fps to reach the levels you post which may be difficult out of such a short barrel but ymmv. Also, again as most hunters prefer to keep +- 1000 ft lbs the min for deer size game that limit is about 780 yards which would also put you about 1800 fps ( which to my memory is min velocity recommended by berger, but I could be wrong on this?). I'm not trying to insult you or get into an argument just trying to help. I think you would be very close to what you would want in a 6.5-300wsm, 6.5-284 if staying with the 6.5 cal whatever you decide I will be interested as to what route you go and what your results end up gun).

Last edited:
Im looking forward to seeing the price tag and the overall weight for that chassis. It folds down shorter than any other stock I have looked at. what is your argument for the 7mm's though? personal preference or do you have a theory behind that?

well a 7wsm can push a 168 gr vld to an honest 2950 fps and the 168 vld has a higher bc than even the 140 gr 6.5 vld from berger. so your talking an HONEST 200 fps more than what a creedmore can push a 140 and better wind drift and much more energy out there when honestly comparing the two cartriges. play with a ballistics calculator like at G7 with these two and you will see what I mean. also if you used a backpack like the eberlestocks with the back scabbard then you wont even notice the length so a folder isnt needed. unless you fork out some big dough for a top of the line folder then im pertty sceptical that theyre as solid as a fixed mcmillan or the like. I have a mcmillan A3 sporter with the "edge"package that weighs 30 oz with studs and a recoil pad. solid for long range but light for packing. if you mated this with a 26" carbon wrapped barrel then you are talking a 7lb gun without scope and it would have all the dimensions of a classic long range rig and the accuracy needed to do the job. then you could put a vortex pst 6-24 on for another 23 oz and your set. its just a lot more money for the 2 less pounds and i like to shoot the midweight sporters (9-11lbs.) I honestly cant even tell the differance between a 7 and 9lb rifle when its in the eberlestock and the heavier gun is MUCH EASIER to shoot. Im no expert but i have researched this topic for a while. to actually go legitamate "light weight and long range" i feel you need some dough and i feel that the 2lbs is easier to shed in other things for much less. like your camping gear, spotting scope, binos etc. for example you will shed 1lb on a super high end sleeping bag and it will cost you $200 more than the other, a super light tent and sleeping pad will easily shed another 2 lbs for maybe $300-400. so for another $500 you will shed that weight that would cost you $2000 to do on your rifle and make it more difficult to shoot. Just one guys thoughts thats all.

oh and i think the eberlestock folder is around $1200...thats the cost for a cnc machined all alluminum folder! is it worth it? if you want that then yes, but each person is there judge of price.

You are right I would have to load very hot to get the same performance out of that short barrel. it might not be the best way to go at all. the 6.5 wsm actually sounds like possible choice the more I think on it. I really like the that bullet for the high BC and ability to buck the wind. Also I had not heard those recommendations by berger.... Something I will be researching. Do you know anybody who is using the 6.5 wsm?

well a 7wsm can push a 168 gr vld to an honest 2950 fps and the 168 vld has a higher bc than even the 140 gr 6.5 vld from berger. so your talking an HONEST 200 fps more than what a creedmore can push a 140 and better wind drift and much more energy out there when honestly comparing the two cartriges. play with a ballistics calculator like at G7 with these two and you will see what I mean. also if you used a backpack like the eberlestocks with the back scabbard then you wont even notice the length so a folder isnt needed. unless you fork out some big dough for a top of the line folder then im pertty sceptical that theyre as solid as a fixed mcmillan or the like. I have a mcmillan A3 sporter with the "edge"package that weighs 30 oz with studs and a recoil pad. solid for long range but light for packing. if you mated this with a 26" carbon wrapped barrel then you are talking a 7lb gun without scope and it would have all the dimensions of a classic long range rig and the accuracy needed to do the job. then you could put a vortex pst 6-24 on for another 23 oz and your set. its just a lot more money for the 2 less pounds and i like to shoot the midweight sporters (9-11lbs.) I honestly cant even tell the differance between a 7 and 9lb rifle when its in the eberlestock and the heavier gun is MUCH EASIER to shoot. Im no expert but i have researched this topic for a while. to actually go legitamate "light weight and long range" i feel you need some dough and i feel that the 2lbs is easier to shed in other things for much less. like your camping gear, spotting scope, binos etc. for example you will shed 1lb on a super high end sleeping bag and it will cost you $200 more than the other, a super light tent and sleeping pad will easily shed another 2 lbs for maybe $300-400. so for another $500 you will shed that weight that would cost you $2000 to do on your rifle and make it more difficult to shoot. Just one guys thoughts thats all.

oh and i think the eberlestock folder is around $1200...thats the cost for a cnc machined all alluminum folder! is it worth it? if you want that then yes, but each person is there judge of price.

excellent points. I have used the eberlestock line of packs for a couple years and i
like them a lot. my thoughts of going to a folder is a knee jerk reaction to getting tired of packing long heavy long range guns around. a light tactical or hunting stock may be better. My thought was that a folder could be carried in any type of pack not just a scabbard type. Also I will take a closer look at the 7mm wsm...

No I personally don't know anybody using the 6.5wsm my knowledge on this and the 6.5-284 are purely from spending too much time on this and other forums as well as my nose in balistics programs crunching numbers. My draw to the 6.5 WSM is the short action that you can utilize. I ended up going with the .260 myself for the off the shelf availability of ammo if needed with the possibility of doing the wsm if I wanted more umph as I already have brass from my tikka 300 wsm. I have great accuracy from my savage and I feel would be deadly out to the 750-800 yard mark and even though my tikka is 5 lbs lighter I still grab the savage, and yes i do pack it a few miles.

Last edited:
the specs for my all round hunting rifle is a trued rem 700 titanium action, no 5 26" barrell plus muzzle break, wyat's extended magazine well, mcmillan hunters edge stock, egw base with night force ultra light ring's with a mk 4 4-14 on top for a all up wieght of 8.2 pounds in 7saum shooting 7mm amax at 3020fps
being the first custom i owned i wanted it to be capable of 600 yds while still remaining portable for extend back country exclusions.
i reguerly shoot this rifle to 1000 yards on steel and am confidante in takeing a shot at game with this rig if the situation and conditions called for it.
the main thing i would like to change would be more magnification, other than that the combination is a joy to lug about while still making those 600-700 yd shots easy achievable

the specs for my all round hunting rifle is a trued rem 700 titanium action, no 5 26" barrell plus muzzle break, wyat's extended magazine well, mcmillan hunters edge stock, egw base with night force ultra light ring's with a mk 4 4-14 on top for a all up wieght of 8.2 pounds in 7saum shooting 7mm amax at 3020fps
being the first custom i owned i wanted it to be capable of 600 yds while still remaining portable for extend back country exclusions.
i reguerly shoot this rifle to 1000 yards on steel and am confidante in takeing a shot at game with this rig if the situation and conditions called for it.
the main thing i would like to change would be more magnification, other than that the combination is a joy to lug about while still making those 600-700 yd shots easy achievable

Kiwi,
Nice setup.
Is that #5 fluted?
To the OP,
take a look at the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM for your setup. Ballistically it will do what you want without the recoil of a 338 in a light carry rifle.

Lone Wolf Summit------------------------------14 oz
#3 pac-nor fluted-------------------------3 lb 6 oz
Lupuy ultralight scope 2-7x28----------------8.2 oz
Titanium Actions from X-Treme---------1 lb 4oz
Timney trigger-----------------------------------2 oz
Surgeon dbm------------------------------------6 oz
BAT Matchines scope rings-------------------2 oz

Total-----------------------------------------6 lb 10.2 oz

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts