Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle?

Stickerflicker1

Hey guys ive just completed a 7stw build and its a has a B and C medalist stock with a 28" barrel. I was wondering what backpacks you guys are using to pack your long rifles in with. I would like to have barrel down do to the length of the rifle and also one that i can pack a slik 700dx tripod in also. It will be used more for day packing but also be under 6lbs. with hunting coues deer in az would be nice also to be able to stuff 100lb deer in also. alot to ask for. thanks fellas

I purchase an eberlestock x1. Now I'm not sure about getting your 100 lb deer in it unless you bone it out. Also haven't had it very long, so my experience with it is limited to around the house. I put my rifle in it and it has a 28 inch barrel including the muzzle break, with a harris bipod attached and a 50 mm scope. It seemed like it was going to be pretty good. I could even reach over my shoulder and pull the rifle out with out removing the pack from my back. Good luck

ya im 28" plus a 2" muzzle break. my big thing is having to go under trees and such and beating the crap out of the stock or barrel. i am looking at the alpz transverse eps back packs. looks like it has enough space for my tripod and other things but the length for a rifle i think m8ight be limited plus its barrel up. anyone out their use that pack?

Eberlestock Gunslinger ll is what I use for my big 7. It will haul an Elk quarter or a complete Blacktail boned out. Has worked well for me and a few of my huntin' buddies.

Purchased an Eberlestock Elk Hunter, but have not had an opportunity to use it yet. The one thing I did notice is that the rifle can't go in stock first like I have heard with the Gunskinger II. Otherwise, it looks like a very well constructed pack.

Eberlestock Gunslinger ll is what I use for my big 7. It will haul an Elk quarter or a complete Blacktail boned out. Has worked well for me and a few of my huntin' buddies.

I have an Eberlestock Gunslinger II also. It is a good pack that will haul a large rifle (I've put rifles with 26, 28 and 32" barrels in the pack - the 32" barrel makes the rifle stick way over your head though, but it is stable). The storage compartment of the pack will certainly carry a 100lb animal.

I had an Eberlestock J34 that I used on my mule deer hunt last year. I sold it. It was o.k. but it would sag and sway too much for me. Also, the rifle scabbord was a bit of a pain in the butt getting my rifle into and out and keeping my gear secured in the pack. My rifle is a 12.5 #, 26" barrel 7 mm mag.
I am going with a Kuiu Icon Pro this year and plan on carrying my rifle along the side of the pack.
I may try to rig a Kifaru universal gun bearer on the Kuiu pack.

good luck

j34 holds my 28" barrel with another 2" worth of brake, muzzle down. i have a NF ATACR on it, so it won't fit butt down. it goes down to about the grip and i can get the strap on it to "lock" it in. works good.

I may try to rig a Kifaru universal gun bearer on the Kuiu pack.

good luck

I've used the Kifaru gun bearer on my external frame backpack for 6 years now. Like it. Lots of bears in AK and my rifle is still accessible in a relatively short time with little effort.

This year I'll be running my same kifaru duplex frame and nomad pack but instead of my eberlestock scabbord I'll try the gun bearer designed for the nomad. The scabbord worked great for my 7mag with 26" barrel but this rifle is so much longer. This rifle is a 338 lapua ai with a 30" barrel and 5 port slab brake. I haven't carried this rifle before but I have packed out a couple deer and an elk and this system has worked well. It has pockets to carry my 85 ziess and slick 624 tripod.

Attachments

• 20151001_142549.jpg
    20151001_142549.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20151001_142529.jpg
    20151001_142529.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 180
Re: Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle? (KIFARU method)

As nice as Eberlestock packs are they are waaaay overbuilt and too heavy. Plus it ain't as easy to slide that rifle out as it looks.

Get a good internal frame pack and add a Kifaru rifle holding setup and you'll be much happier and save money. The rifle's butt fits into a Hypalon "pocket" strapped to either the right or left side of your padded pack waist belt.

The barrel/forearm quick-release strap attaches to your shoulder strap on the same side (right side for me) and when you pull on the strap the QR buckle releases it instantly so your rifle comes up quickly.

With this system you can use any pack with a waist belt and your rifle is always ready to use, even while using walking sticks or ski poles. I use walking sticks on steep terrain and this system is great.

I would recommend a Kifaru mountain rambler with their new duplex ultralight hunting frame. You can pack as much weight as you want and has a rifle scabbard. Also has a meat shelf. It is expensive but Kifaru is the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.