Backpack for a big man ?

Daveinjax

I am looking for a pack to be able to hunt out of for a max of 8 to 12 days and more likely 5 to 7 days. I am a large guy. 6' 4" with a 38" waist and a long body and short legs ( think shrek ). Any sugestions for a good fit. I hear that several of the best packs don't fit tall guys well. I keep hearing about Kifaru , but the Long Hunter is almost a grand with all the options ! I have read the mystery ranch and j107 will not fit well. Any other good options for a big hunter? Maybe something a little more affordable ? Do the Kifaru's really fit better?

I am 6'6" 250lbs with a 38" waist and a 22.5" torso length. So we are almost the same. It took me six months of research and fitting until I found right pack. I now have the Osprey Aether 70 and it's the best fitting pack I have ever owned. REI sells them and you would order the XL it will come with the right length harness and waist belt for your stature. Its looks like more of a "modern" backpacking pack than a hunting pack but they make it in a green color that's working great for me. The 70+ liter size is perfect for week long or longer hunts. The pack will carry all the meat and gear your body can handle on the trek out. Osprey makes great packs with a great warranty and customer service to back it up. Check it out, good luck!

Im 6'1 230 lbs, so quit a bit shorter than you, but I have a very long torso. I have a J107 dragonfly and have about 3-1/2" of adjustment in it yet, so it may be worth a try (at least check it out). They are alot of pack for the money... if they fit.

My backpacking partner is haveing a similar problem. He's 6"7 and 240lbs, and I dont know how he can use the pack he does. It rides half way up his back. Im eager to find out what you get so that hopefully, my buddy can have a better trip with a new bag.

I'm going with the Kifaru Long Hunter with 26" stays . It uses their duplex frame wich you can put anywhere from a 4000ci bag to a 7300ci bag. Everyone has said they are the best. If you can carry it the bag can! Very expensive though. I plan to get the big long hunter now and add a dt3 bag in the future for overnight hunts with a small tarp tent.

Daveinjax, good choice! I think the larger Longhunter will serve you well. I use my Longhunter Standard (38" waist and 21" torso length) mostly for deer hunting when I'm out for a couple of days. They are well made and the guys at Kifaru will provide a pack with a custom fit.

I have two packs; the Kifaru and an Eberlestock J-34 pack. Between the two, I'm covered for just about any hunting situation I'm likely to come across.

I was 6'2 now 6'1.5 shrinking, getting old wear 38x36 jeans. I have a J 104 just one pack & it has worked for 7 day backpack hunts with way to much gear in it. Take just what you need not what someone tells you what you should have. Have Fun

You will love that Kifaru... I have their new Timberline 1 in Coyote and finally have got the suspension dialed into where I think it works great for me. Just remember that while the crew at Kifaru will set up the pack to fit you from the factory, there are still some small adjustments that may need to be done to customize the fit how you like it. Check out these videos for wearing your pack:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQXDvtWbh8&feature=player_embedded]Kifaru Pack Fitting - Part 1, Longhunter, EMR, MMR AG1 & AG2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnP-QwsBxY&feature=player_embedded]Kifaru Pack Fitting - Fine Tuning a Longhunter, EMR, MMR, AG1 or AG2 - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.