B&C vs. BDC

Pre-64

Advice appreciated. I'm going to purchase a VX-III for the 300. I cannot decide on a 3.5 X 10 with the B&C reticle or the 4.5 X 14 and a custom target turret. Rifle is primarily an elk rifle. Shooting 200 grain ABs at 2875 fps. 500 yards is a very long shot for me (Been blowing up milk jugs a 400 consistenly with this rifle).

I decided against the 4.5 X 14 with the B&C reticle because I don't want to limit myself to a 14X scope in order to use the reticle. FOV is too tight. The ability to aim dead on at longer ranges as well as dial in to the exact yardage is attractive. Then again, the built in hold-over offered by the B&C reticle is dead on for my load according to the charts and my shooting. What to do????

[ QUOTE ]
Advice appreciated. I'm going to purchase a VX-III for the 300. I cannot decide on a 3.5 X 10 with the B&C reticle or the 4.5 X 14 and a custom target turret. Rifle is primarily an elk rifle. Shooting 200 grain ABs at 2875 fps. 500 yards is a very long shot for me (Been blowing up milk jugs a 400 consistenly with this rifle).

I decided against the 4.5 X 14 with the B&C reticle because I don't want to limit myself to a 14X scope in order to use the reticle. FOV is too tight. The ability to aim dead on at longer ranges as well as dial in to the exact yardage is attractive. Then again, the built in hold-over offered by the B&C reticle is dead on for my load according to the charts and my shooting. What to do????

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been rolling this one around in my head for some time now,and have come to the conclusion that it is better to dial in the range,than use a ret,as the ret will only be spot on the mark at given rangers (IE, if the beast is between the dots,and you have to hold between them.)but if you need to make a quick follow up shot,then the ret is better (as you can use it quicker )
but i am sure that someone better experienced will give a lot better explanation.

thats how i now see it.

BDC reticles are only on with one load and altitude as altitude changes so does trajectory.The NP-R2 Nightforce reticle is marked into 2 MOA incrementsand and works well with minimal dialing of course the milldot also works well for those that understand it. If you get a BDC or B&C reticle as you progress and shoot farther you will find them lacking

Pre-64,

I went through the same and settled on the Mark 4 4.5x14PR along with the RX-IV range finder.There are several ballistic programs available. Just plug in your data and you can create you own drop chart. The B&C reticle is nice but you will have more flexability by dialing in your distances.
Another option would be to get the B&C reticle and have dials installed. Now you have more decisions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JD338

I'd get the B&C + tgt. elevation turret. Then u can apply both if u wish, and just use the plex post tip for windage (@ 2.6 MOA) when dialing elevation. I like ballistic reticles, but then i'm the type that believes a ranging reticle is also a ballistic reticle and vice versa.

For a beginner trying to stretch out to 500 yds the B&C (or any other BDC) is good and easy. When the day comes that you want to shoot over to the next ridgeline at 700 yds or so, you will need dial up knobs.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer neither because they are both just "ball park" methods. Learn to dial a turret using MOA and you'll be far ahead of the game and much more precise. JMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

JMHO too.

Thanks to all for your input. I went with the VX-III 3.5X10X40 with the B&C reticle.

[ QUOTE ]
For a beginner trying to stretch out to 500 yds the B&C (or any other BDC) is good and easy. When the day comes that you want to shoot over to the next ridgeline at 700 yds or so, you will need dial up knobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my conclusion. Truthfully, I have only once taken an elk over 300 yards and don't have any desire to shoot beyond 400. This rifle will shoot roughly 3" to 5" groups at 300 yards so I don't see shooting much beyond 400 anyway. I have been out blowing up milk jugs at 300 to 450 yards and really didn't much care for counting out clicks to compensate for bullet drop at the various ranges, even though I was somewhat accurate. I have a .270 with the burris BDC reticle and I was just as accurate, if not moreso, with that system. Besides, I can always have the turret installed later. Thanks again for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.