Aussie Sambar

HammerBullets

Mitch sent a picture of his Australian Sambar. Shot at 350m (380 yards) with a 7mm Rem Mag and the 143 Hammer Hunter. Impact velocity was 2164 FPS, 1484 ft-lbf. Hard quartering shot 6-8" behind last rib. Main bullet traveled through stomach, petals hit liver, lung, and spine. Recovered bullet inside the left shoulder. Sambar dropped where it stood. Not being familiar with the Sambar I asked about it's size compared to an Elk. His comment was "Elk are butter compared to Sambar." Congratulations Mitch!

08B47A80-5ACC-4AE2-89AC-91952AF6B405.jpeg

Congratulations to Mitch if that is a Victorian sambar deer that is not a bad rack at all and what looks like a very attentive GSP (German shorthaired pointer) .
The word I use for sambar deer is Tenacious they're like pitbulls they will never give up until the end I'm 58 yo I've taken 11 Sambar over the years stalking , unfortunately here in Australia we have dog teams and at times they take 5 to 6 deer in one weekend (they are classified as game animals yes but there are no official limits) so far my longest shot is
718 with a 7rm and a 180 VLD BERGER on a friends property.
And now our government has declared war if a property owner gives you permission you can now Spotlight these fine game animals only time we do it is to thin out crappy antlers and if there are too many for the property .
After taking several with the 7 rm to be fare to the animal I consider the 300 WIN MAG with a 210g pill out to around 600 a minimum as I like 2000fp even though the 7 mil and the 180 grain vld did the job you really needed to wait for the perfect shot 1800 to 2000 foot pounds of impact energy seems to pull these fellas up real quick just wish you had them in the states .
we have a bit of a joke here in Australia that they wear Kevlar they really are that Tenacious .
Sometimes when I'm on a Ridge looking down in the morning as the air starts lifting up I'm in ore watching them bed down for the day they have some of the most peculiar habits you've ever seen in a deer I am contemplating building a 338 edge as I no longer own a 7 mm .

Last edited: