auodad sheep caliber

huntem

At the last minute I booked an auodad hunt (yesterday) and I leave in 10 days. Aside from not being in the physical condition that I probably should be, I am scratching my head on which rifle to take. The most reliable/familar rifle is my 300 ultra but I am looking at my lighter Tikka but is chambered in 7mm-08. What do you think about the 7mm-08 for sheep? I know it is a good gun but looking for other thoughts.

The 7mm-08 is plenty for even the largest Auodad ram. Which rifle I would take would depend on the hunting terrain you will be in. It its shoots under 400 yards I would opt for the 7mm-08. If the possibility for a longer shot is possible, I would look at the 300 RUM.

The 7-08 is a better balance to the game but we want dead here so match the range you will be shooting to the rifle and you will be fine. Take them both if you can and then decide on the hunt which is best suited for your needs.

I assume this is on a hunting ranch and not for wild Auodad.

They are very cagey critters, you will have a challanging hunt!! Let us know how it goes.

Kirby Allen(50)

I shot a 32" auodad ram in the Chinati Mountains of Texas 2 years ago with a ULA in .284 Win. He was ranged at some 280 yds and dropped within 10 steps from a Nosler 140 gr solid base. I shoot most of my whitetails with a Rem Model 7 in 7-08, so your Tikka will be perfect.

By the way, the hunts for free-ranging auodad are the best bargain today for a poor man's sheep hunt. You'll be glassing and stalking and climbing in the classic Jack O'Connor tradition. Close your eyes and imagine that you're in the Cassiars, pursuing a Stone ram to complete your Grand Slam!

They are free roaming auodad, we will be within 3 hours SW of Midland Texas. The exact ranch will be determined after this weekends scouting trip by my outfitter. I am looking at least a 30" ram. My buddy shot his on the Knight ranch (31+" without any hair between the horns)

a really good buddy of mine has killed 2 or 3 TX auodad and every year he takes his 300 weatherby. i vote to take the 300RUM, i would hate to follow a blood trail in the terrain those bad boys live in!

BUT, i do not think this is the best poor mans sheep hunt. come hunt coues deer and there ya go! those suckers are fun and hard to finda big one!

From my personal experience with raising aoudad, I would feel the best with the ultra mag, especially since you are most familiar with it. But I have seen aoudad taken with a 308 and a 25-06. Both were using Barnes bullets though. I would recommend a strong bullet. Aoudad can be very tough.

Well I was at the range this afternoon and played the game of you only have the first shot. So after jogging back from the 200 yard range, I grabbed the shooting sticks took a deep breath and pulled the trigger. Dead nuts left-right 2" high.

300 ultra it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.