Attention wildcat bullet shooters!

Yes, there will be variation, no two bullets will have exactly the same BC if you take it out to enough decimal points, etc....

But I think it's important we not get lost in the minutia here. I've seen some bring up all these variables before as evidence that BC's are pure bunk, hokus pokus and aren't worth worrying about at all. A typical case of being afraid to identify a forest because he's afraid he won't be able to count every tree.

Yes, there will be variation. A standard deviation is always a good thing to report with any testing. And different rifles, different twists, environmental conditions....

But! It is possible to judge the relative size of different forests without counting each tree in each forest with absolute certainty.

I hate it when people see instrumented tests on BC's and say, "Yeah, well maybe in your rifle the round noses don't beat the SST's but they might in mine.... Maybe under your conditions a high SD sharply pointed bullet kills a light, low SD X-bullet...but in my rifle they might not...they might be "magic!"

Sorry, just ranting. That wasn't aimed at anybody in particular...just a direction I've seen arguements like this go before. Yes, BC's change, vary and are dynamic. But let's keep those variations in the proper perspective.

I don't know that all ballistic software utilizes a "corrected BC" in calculation of time of flight, etc.
I know some do.
I'm thinking many trust your BC input and calculate velocity ****** based on drag rather than a variable BC.
Your real BC(not published at ICAO or StdMetro) is effected by your mach number. And this has a marginally opposite relationship with air density to drag. For instance, a bullet with a .553BC, 3Kfps, ICAO, has a BC of .549 at 90deg. Notice BC dropped at higher temp. This is not "corrected" BC, but real -local BC. External ballistic programs would calculate from there, using this real BC in a number of ways(whatever method chosen).
An example can be seen using JBM's website calcs(like Drag/twist calc).
I don't know. Maybe I got it all screwy. It just seems weird to take a measured local BC to a different standard.
Maybe because I don't get alot of woodchucks at sea level and 59 degrees.

[ QUOTE ]
Mike

That is a hell of an idea and am sure Richard will go for that. He frequents this board so he will see it.

As Kirby said and you. Richard wants to make his customers happy and will do about anything you want, in reason.

Hell Daivd Tubb went to Sierra and told them the bullet he wanted them to make and was told NO!! So he found another makere to make the bullets and is selling a crap load. Can't keep stock fast enough. TO bad for sierra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, Sierra makes Tubb's bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mike:
I suggested a 110gr 6mm ULD/RBBT

you and me both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheers,
JB

JB

From all that i read i came away understanding that Sierra wasn't interested and DTAC was making them.

Thanks

Big bore,

I agree with you on your point, however, for purposes of actually shooting a projectile at an intended target, standardized bc and affected bc show no distinction to the shooter. Affected bc does change with all the "other" factors that are not topologistic, and these are the bc's that a shooter in the field sees. Realizing that most of the people reading this thread would rather go shooting than do math homework at a desk, I lumped both affected and standardized bc's into one for the ease of explanation to the shooter.
Thanks.

After briefing the 5 pages of posts, I am amazed at the knowledge and sometimes petty pickering that can come from that knowledge. Glad to see it 'smoothing' out.

I think we can agree that ANY BC figure is merely that, a number. The real world performance will be different for us all. That performance will change from day to day, location to location.

Hell, our scopes don't adjust the same and our rangefinders have error. They may be consistent but they have error never the less.

Bottom line is how do these bullets shoot in the one thing that does matter - small groups. Are these bullets consistently accurate at the ranges and velocities that matter to you and only you? If so, then they are a success and a bullet worth purchasing.

Matt27, I am glad to finally hear that you tested the 140gr SST and did show reduced elevation adjustments as compared to the Lapua's. If someone ran those numbers for comparison, they would get a reading higher then the Lapua's 0.65. Are we both nuts? NOPE.

Why haven't others tried them and posted their results? Mostly, because a hunting bullet 'can't' fly that well.

Before everyone jumps on a bandwagon, they might want to do some personal testing to verify. Your mileage may vary but you will see trends that matter.

Too often, this sport is driven by the written 'facts'. Very little actual shooting going on. And the testing that is reported is far from statistically correct. 2 5 rd groups to determine the fate of some product...BUNK. Especially when you see a pic of the author/tester using a rolled up blanket for a front rest (true, just look at some of the 'established' gun mags) or a 16" bipod and no rear rest.

Funny since we don't judge race cars by how they look in a parking lot.

Let's all get out there and burn powder. We will then be able to come to some real world conclusions about how things do or don't work.

Richard is a guy trying to make a good bullet. FACT. Let's leave it at that and just shoot them. If you like them, great. If you don't, great.

The real world BC values will come to the surface fast enough. I doubt two of us will agree on a number anyways...

Jerry

Yes, Agreed. <font color="red">
I LIKE DOING MATH HOMEWORK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>
maybe that's my problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

abinok,

Agreed, there are a number of things that make determining actual BC's difficult by measuring drop.

1 - I use the Oehler 43 at the muzzle and the Oehler 35P set at 300 yards.

2 - Or the M43 and acoustic target.

3 - BORELINE drop from muzzle at 100 yard intervals on out to 600 yards, minimum, on an 8' sheet of plywood, SAME POA.

There are issues with ALL these methods that cannot be overlooked if you are after REAL BC numbers.

Pressure and temperature measurements are essential to any of these methods.

Measurement to the "tenth of a foot" is absolutely critical when using the acoustic target, and you don't get that without a steel tape... rangefinder won't cut it by a long shot. It however is very accurate in the determination of BC's.

With two chronoghraphs, the screen spacing must be adjustable and able to be calibrated to each other. The first chrono closest to the muzzle will read a slightly higher MV than the second chrono when set just feet apart. The chronos must indicate this or something is wrong. A bullet with a BC range of .5 - .55 at say 3000 FPS MV will loose a set FPS for every 1 ft. traveled. If you set a chrono up at 300 yards, which was reading 30 fps slower than the chrono at the muzzle when they were only 4' away from each other, those chrono's are not even close and will yield inaccurate BC's.

If you use just one chrono to test at two ranges in order to get the BC by averaging the sample fired at the muzzle, then averaging the sample fired over the chrono set up down range, you must be sure MV will be stable throughout the whole test, and not climb on you as the barrel fouls or heats up. In other words, don't waste your ammo on the test unless you can shoot a minimum of 20-30 rounds and see the last 10 shots average the same MV as the first 10, and the second 10. If you shoot less than 10 shots at the muzzle and 10 shots downrange at 300 yards or more, I think you'll have too small of sample size for a reasonable average. Using a tape measure to establish the distance between the MV chrono and downrange chrono placement is recommended.

The method of determining BC using actual drop eats up even more ammo but, does have the side benifit of practicing some wind doping skills and also eliminating any possible calibration/tracking issues with your elevation turret, as you will not be dialing but rather aiming at the top edge of the plywood and meausuring actual drop from the top at each 100 yard interval.

I sight my rifle in at 100 yards after taking some scope height measurements. Distance between the scope tube and bolt + half the diameter of the scope tube + half the diameter of the bolt = scope height. Scope height + boreline drop from muzzle to 100 yards = how many inches low I zero in at 100 yards. This effectively sets the reticle plane parallel to the boreline, and all we measure and compare from here on out is actual DROP, path has nothing to do with this.

You need to measure and record MV or you will never get the BC this way.
If you can set up a vidio camera off to the side of your target to record the POI for each shot number in the sequence, associating each MV with each shot's POI will greatly help to further paint a clearer picture.

Be very careful to zero your rifle EXACTLY!! If you are 1/4" above or below where you should be at 100 yards, you have this 1/4" effectively dialed into your scope the whole way out to 600 yards and farther, so it will appear you have a much higher BC when in fact you do NOT!! If you should see the group printing 3" below POA at 100 yards, make sure it's EXACTLY 3" below! A 3 shot group here, and at each 100 yard interval will tell you nothing, so shoot enough rounds at each to find a CLEAR and obvious center in your groups!! Forget about the horizontal in your groups and find the center of the vertical dispersion. And for any LR shooting to be consistant, the rifle must recoil identically throughout your drop testing... don't change your hold or your rest setup.

I take the pressure, temp, and MV and enter it into the RSI ballistic program for a look at the boreline drop column to compare it to what I found in the test. The BC inputed in the program is the only "unknown" variable at this point, and manipulating this number until the drops match will produce a now "known" BC. This program will also tell you what the BC would be if this was standard sea level conditions in which this bullet was being shot, it is not however, but it will show how much temp and pressure effectively alter the BC.

This all said, I prefer to test using seperate chrono's in order to compare the BC of each individual shot. Takes less ammo and time, and is highly accurate.

If I had a few 30 cal Wildcat bullets, in a matter of minutes I could tell if they flew flatter than the 210 Berger or 210 JLK. After seeing how many MOA higher they impacted at LR, coming back to 100 yards to see how many MOA they impacted high or low compared to the JLK would tell the story. BUT, in the same amount of rounds, I could have measured the exact BC with two chrono's... and I would know how much flatter POI would be as well. 15-20 bullets and less than an hour at the range and the actual BC would be settled in my mind.

I've heard that the Wildcat bullt have had large swings in base to meplat length, but what worries me it that I've heard the same thing concerning bearing surface length... very inconsistant as well. If there is, the BC I'm thinking will prove very inconsistant as well, possibly MV and vertical group size too.

I'd been waiting to hear that Richard had resolved these issues before messing with them, as the JLK is so uniform why go backwards... I wonder who makes Richard's dies and if they are of the quality that Jimmy Knox, Bob Cauterucio and others use. As many different type, caliber, weight bullets Richard manufactures, I wonder if he uses the same real expensive, high quality Nemi dies as the others do? Anyone know where he gets his dies?

The Sierra bullets are not near as consistant in bearing length as the JLK, but still they are far better than what I have heard Richard's have been in the past year or two. This has always been my main concern. Even though the BC's do seem pretty high and might seem a bit optimistic to many, I knew at some point I'd answer that one for myself. It is good to hear they have been shooting so well for many folks, and that Richard is highly spoken of too.

brent,
[ QUOTE ]
Measurement to the "tenth of a foot" is absolutely critical when using the acoustic target, and you don't get that without a steel tape... rangefinder won't cut it by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used the LRF example mainly because it was mentioned in the 350gr wildcat/kahn thread.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had a few 30 cal Wildcat bullets, in a matter of minutes I could tell if they flew flatter than the 210 Berger or 210 JLK. After seeing how many MOA higher they impacted at LR, coming back to 100 yards to see how many MOA they impacted high or low compared to the JLK would tell the story. BUT, in the same amount of rounds, I could have measured the exact BC with two chrono's... and I would know how much flatter POI would be as well. 15-20 bullets and less than an hour at the range and the actual BC would be settled in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats about what I figured.... you would have to shoot a comprable (to the expected) bc bullet to get on paper, and that would tell you a lot just with the first shot.
You mentioned 15-20.... I was afraid you would say 50.... either way, ive decided that this is something that has to be done, but 20 or so bullets will give me more to work with on my end.

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that the Wildcat bullt have had large swings in base to meplat length, but what worries me it that I've heard the same thing concerning bearing surface length... very inconsistant as well. If there is, the BC I'm thinking will prove very inconsistant as well, possibly MV and vertical group size too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard the same in regaurds to bearing length and base to ogive length. Of all the emails ive got from this thread, no bullet offers for testing yet, but several on exactly this. 11 so far. In all fairness the reasons quoted in all but two cases for not posting here on this topic was that they felt that their sample size was not large enough to be representative.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd been waiting to hear that Richard had resolved these issues before messing with them, as the JLK is so uniform why go backwards... I wonder who makes Richard's dies and if they are of the quality that Jimmy Knox, Bob Cauterucio and others use. As many different type, caliber, weight bullets Richard manufactures, I wonder if he uses the same real expensive, high quality Nemi dies as the others do? Anyone know where he gets his dies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had been waiting myself, but I finially decided that it was time to get some and see. Im just glad that you offered to test them with the chrony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif(s)
Ill let you know when they arrive.
Oh, what case were you planning on launching them from, just out of curiosity?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.