ATT TOMAHAWK OR 300 RUM SHOOTERS

Agunner012

I am trying to figure out which way to go with a possible project.....

Given a choice of a 10" twist Lilja 6 groove, or a 10" twist 3 groove Pac-Nor barrel which one? I am looking into the 300 Tomahawk.

Lilja doesn't make a 10" twist 3 groove. From what I am reading the 3 groove seems to last longer.

As always your comments will be helpful.

Thanks

no really need a 1 in 10 for 300 ULTRA , 1 in 11 or perhaps a 1 in 12 can works better

it s seem that 3 groove have better life time than regular 6 grooves , I prefer use 5 grooves barrel because bullet deformation is asymetric , 5R grooves are very good for barrel life ( barrel wear by square of the groove smashing ) but seem the same for throat erosion

Why you not try G Schneider polygonal barrel ?

regular 300 ULTRA is a bit broad for target shooting / long range , a thighter throat will be nice and a tighter chamber base

good shooting

DAN TEC

twist need vary with bullet velocity

If you use a 308 WIN and want to get stabilzed a 200 gr ( vary following the bullet lenght too ) you need a 1 in 10 .

if you launch the bullet faster as for exemple a 300 WIN MAG or a 300 WEA you can use a 1 in 11

if you increase again the velocity as 300 ULTRA or 30/338 LM you can use a 1 in 12

if you overstabilised the bullet you loose accury and increase pressure ( from very fast to very slow )

check REM 700 barrel specs I am closely sure than even REM factory doesnt use a 1 in 10 on their ULTRA

I use 1 in 11 ( 30 and 32 inch ) and that work fine with 220 gr and 240 gr )

good shooting

DAN TEC

Here is the 300RUM right off their website.http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sendsf.htm

Remington is putting barrels with a 1 in 10" twist in the 300RUM. I do believe that Seirra also suggest that a 1-9" twist is used with the .30 240gr MK. But All that I know who have used a 1-10" and the 240gr have had nothing but success.

[ 08-03-2003: Message edited by: txhunter ]

Is there any major differences in barrel life and accuracy between 3 groove and 6 groove barrels? I seem to be hung up on this 3 groove idea and Lilja doesn't offer the 10" twist in 3 groove, the only offer 11" twist in the 3 groove barrels.

Agunner012,

Call or Email Dan Lilja, I'm pretty sure he will make the 3 groove you want, but he doesn't advertise it, and he does charge extra for it.

For those of you already shooting one of these rounds: What powder have you found to be the most accurate at long range, with the 240 SMK?

I've spent the last couple of weeks working with Retumbo, I've been pleased, but not excited. One thing that really tied my brain in a knot. I did a test to see what shot better. Charges weighed on my RCBS electronic scale, or my old Lee Beam scale. Just for the hell of it, I loaded five more rounds just by dumping from my RCBS powder dump. Both sets of weighed loads shot right about MOA at 800 yards. But the five I dumped shot 2" smaller. I figured it was just dumb luck and the wind had died. Next day, I tried it again with a different load, reset the powder dump to the new setting and I'll be damned if it didn't shoot two inches under the other two five shot groups ( Both of the others shot right at MOA )

Should I just put both scales back in the closet?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.