300 Tomahawk

Tim Behle

What is the trim to length that you use for your Tomahawk brass? The new Sierra manual lists 2.840" for the RUM, do I use this same measurement? How far should I let it go before trimming? Most of mine now runs 2.850-2.855" It's been fired four or five times and it looks like it is about time to anneal the necks. Should I trim before or after annealing, or does it matter?

A couple of more questions if you don't mind. Have you noticed it doing better with 215 or 210 primers?

What's the most accurate powder you've tried?

Tim--
I like the Federal 210M. I tried the 215 but it tended to give me 70-100 fps flucutuations in my extreme spread. I changed to the 210M's and now I'm getting single digit ES's. Then powder I started with was H870, but since it was discontinued, I changed to WC872. I didn't see a need to try anything else, as it was turning in 1/3 MOA groups out to 600 yds in load testing.

Chris,

How hot was it when you were shooting those groups? I've been shooting WC872, in temps from 85-105. I'm wondering if it's temperature sensitivity might be causing some of my fliers.

I'll try the 210M's thanks.

Tim--
I've only shot it up to about 80*F. I would think that if you kept your ammo at a stable temp, it wouldn't cause fliers. The primers were the sole cause of my fliers at long range. The 70-100 fps didn't show up at 100yds, but it started showing up at 600 and really shows at 800-1000. Good luck--if you still have problems, try some Retumbo--I know Boyd uses it...

[ 07-18-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Tim, Chris, this is a very timely thread!
I have a 300 RUM, Factory Savage.
Right now i am loading, ( trying to find The load )220 SMK, Retumbo, Fed 215m.
I have found wc872 at $3.oo lb plus haz-mat and shipping.
What is the starting powder charge for the RUM with 872?
One more thing, does anyone else have a problem trying to get the SMK's set at a consistant oal?
Any help here is greatly appreciated
John

halfbreed

Yes I have had the OAL problems with the SMK's. I think its because on some of them the tips are slanted and not flat. Thats the only thing I can think of. It is definately noticable on the bullets with a little bit of a slant. You would think with all the accuracy and good reputation Sierra would fix the slanting problems?

halfbreed--
Get yourself a Stoney Point OAL tool and the Comparator set to go with it. The OAL makes absolutely no difference--its the ogive to lands relationship that matters. The nose length of even the finest custom bullets will vary a bit and can cause you to get inconsistencies in OAL. BUT--if your ogive/lands relationship is consistent, you are good to go.
Try starting with about 88-90 gr with the WC 872 and working up in 1 gr increments. Be aware that the WC 872 is temperature sensitive and will show pressure signs in the heat of the summer.

[ 07-18-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Chris j, I had seen the Stoney point products many times. I just did not know how accurate they were, or if they were just a gimmick, I live in Benton Ky. The temps here are no different than in your area, just above Memphis.
Thanks for the help, I can surely use it.
John

Remington, that is also what I was thinking with the slanted tips. I am just beginning to get into long range.
I do alot of searches before I ask questions. I usually find the answers I am looking for.
Thanks, John

They are definitely not a gimmick--They are the most accurate way to set up your die's seating depth--you won't be sorry--its money well spent.

I finally got my 240 Mk's in last night, wouldn't you know it, I had to go to work early this morning and didn't get to try them.

But I did get to play for a little while in the wind when I got home tonight.

I tried H1000, never did get it up to speed before getting too many pressure signs. So I tried some Retumbo.

Oh My Gawd!

Six shots, one little hole, and an ES of 6 FPS, at 100 yards.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Anyone know of any 1K matches in AZ or Southern NM this weekend?

I want to go play.

Tim

Way cool Tim. My new rifle likes Retumbo also, looks like you'll be ready for the August match. How many grains are you using and did you chrono them yet? I'm at 86 grs with an SD of 6, 3 shots .550" at 300yds, around 2900+ fps. This is a max load in my rifle.
Take care,
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.