Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

Maybe the wheel can be replaced with a lever by you.

Now having used my Atlas for a while, unlike the tilting feature on the Harris, the Atlas can be set on a tension level that once broken in that doesn't require consistent adjustment. Also, ran into a mount produced by Seekins that is a superb mount for rifle stocks. It is an integrated sling swivel and is supplied to fit a two hoke configuration for McMillan, HS, or B&C .

Sling Rail System

We have been using these bipods for several years now. We too like them so much decided to carry them in our proshop and online store. I will not knock the Harris as it does have some good qualities to it. The owner over at B&T is a great guy as well. It is a family run business just like Rifles Only and I believe this place as well. Good company and good product, something I know we are willing to support as much as possible.

I am running 2 different GG&G's. One is the XHD on a 16lb custom 300RUM and one HD on an 11lb 6.5 Grendel gasser. I like them both. I have not been able to handle an Atlas to compair the two. Has anyone been able to do so that can chime in? I have a nice 6BR build coming along and was thinking of going with an Atlas if it is of higher quality or at least equal to the GG&G. Also any word on the V10 model Atlas I hear about in the works? I hear it's built for bigger and heavier guns.gun)

I've shot with both the harris and atlas quite a bit. I like the push button leg adjustments on the harris and can usually get the rifle where it needs to be faster than with the atlas. With the atlas you have to pull down a coupling and move the leg which can be tough when prone, but with practice you can get better at it.

atlas.jpg

Been using mine for going on 3 yrs. now. I have SRS rails to switch easy between rifle and I like that legs go fore and aft, independent. I have had them set that way. Heres mine with legs at different height and angle, sitting in a cradle I made for my sportmans tripod,good in field support.

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 111
To answer the OP question, Yes! (I do admit to some bias.... :) )

Len, thank you for your patronage and we're glad to have you on board!

A couple of things, the Atlas was designed for use with a rail as it is more secure and near impossible to pull out which is not the case with a sling stud.

It was also designed for the battlefield using the SCAR requirements as a guideline. The desire to offer a better, lighter bipod to those that serve was the motivation, they deserve the best we can do. The fact professional and civilian rifle enthusiast have found a value in its design and are willing to say as much is humbling.

Regarding other bipod offerings, we will be releasing some new novel products this year that are geared towards ELR.

Atlas was the first bipod to offer multiple independent leg positions, Pan and Cant and has several patents to include these. So to see yet another bipod (links above in another post) this one claiming to be the "finest" incorporating these features is flattering and suggests Atlas leads the way.

I am considering buying this Bipod.My question is, can I use it while in a sitting position. I was wondering if you could buy extentions to use while hunting? Ed

There are leg extensions available but not enough to let you use them from a sitting position...........for sitting use a Harris 25C bipod, use the Atlas for everything else!!!!

About sitting, the outer legs have a ID of .50, which happens to be a common size for round stock, like wood or nylon dowel rods and aluminum bar. Soooo a motivated person can simply cut the round stock to length remove the standard rubber feet (push button) and insert the bar into the extended outer leg and now you have a custom height.

The V10 is the same as the 5-H and will be for the heavier rifles. And I'm not going to give availability estimate because history shows I've failed miserably at doing so.

About sitting, the outer legs have a ID of .50, which happens to be a common size for round stock, like wood or nylon dowel rods and aluminum bar. Soooo a motivated person can simply cut the round stock to length remove the standard rubber feet (push button) and insert the bar into the extended outer leg and now you have a custom height.

As much as I hate to admit it. I hadn't considered that, **** good idea Kasey, thank you.

t

Thought I'd chip in here. I have an Atlas with the QD-mount. Not wanting to modify my rifles in any way I purchased a bunch of Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapters. Work great.

Cheers

The Atlas is a vast improvement over the Harris bi-pod. I believe this is simply due to the age of the Harris design and the changes in bi-pod use. The Harris is still an excellent piece of gear and should be the first bi-pod every new shooter uses. I feel that until you can exploit the Atlas advandages. I have the Atlas but prefer the Bobro for tactical match shooting. It is a very solid very well made, (hand made) bi-pod which is close in price to the Atlas. The Bobro has another advanage over the Atlas in that is is not a rattle trap on the battlefield, plus the Atlas ballbearing detents do not like khátti or Afghan mud/sand/dust. The Harris is much better in these conditions hence why the harris is still the MOD/DOD standard. I like the features of the Atlas when they can be used, when they are not a liability and the shooter has done the training and time to exploit the advances the Atlas offers. I recently purchased the Elite Iron bi-pod. I have not yet spend much time with it, but it's build quality is first rate and it does have some revolutionary ideas and concepts.
So to sum up the question YES IT IS WORTH IT.. if you use it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.