Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

It is that "play" that is referred to as loading the bipod. By pushing the rifle forward to take up the play, it enables the 1/8" or so aborbtion of rearward movement during recoil to occur without bounce. This assists in accurate shooting.

That's my understanding and experience as well. Just curious what others that are likely more esperiexed that I think of the Atlas vs. Harris in this and other regards. I'm one of those guys that rarely gets a chance to actually rub elbow with other LRH'ers, so this forum and thereby learning from the experience of others here is especially helpful to me.

I have always had Harris pods, b/c they're only $100 or so. But have shot Atlas pods. Just can't afford an Atlas at the moment, but WILL have one someday.

I have always had Harris pods, b/c they're only $100 or so. But have shot Atlas pods. Just can't afford an Atlas at the moment, but WILL have one someday.

Ditto!

I currently do not have any bipod on my Senderos but if I'm ever going to get one it will probably be the Atlas with the removable option so I can switch it to whichever Sendero I am currently using.

I just got an Atlas after using a Harris for several years. Overall, i think it is well worth the extra costs. As most posts have stated, it is superb quality, and an issue that deters some from buying one which is the need for a Picatinney rail is no issue using the SRS mounts which easily accommodate a standard sling swivel stud. You do need a two stud arrangement though. My Milspec came this way, as did my McMillan A3. I just needed to use a brass washer to get the swivel stud high enough to attach the swivel. The single biggest benefit in my view is the slack that is built into the legs which enables a more consistent loading of the bipod compared to the Harris. There is no pressure required regardless of the amount the legs are extended and the Atlas enables 3/8" of straight back rearward movement of the barrel upon discharge. Unlike the Harris, loading of the legs can be achieved with the rubber feet on smooth surfaces like a wooden platform. No bounce. I have been able to duplicate my group size and POI using the Atlas whether off a wooden bench or prone on the ground. A big plus! It's very well made, and the quick detach accessory is fast and easy. Out of the box, the the swivel joint and adjustment wheel that enables leveling and side to side movement is very stiff and requires some breaking in and a little spray lube to work well. I just ordered the leg extensions to get the same height as my 9-13" Harris,
required in some shooting situations. The only shortcoming of the Atlas compared to the Harris is needing to depress the buttons to drop the legs. If fast action is required to get into position, it's awkward if you're used to just snapping the legs down on the Harris. Not a big deal though. Just have to practice. I wish I bought one sooner.

I just got an Atlas after using a Harris for several years. Overall, i think it is well worth the extra costs. As most posts have stated, it is superb quality, and an issue that deters some from buying one which is the need for a Picatinney rail is no issue using the SRS mounts which easily accommodate a standard sling swivel stud. You do need a two stud arrangement though. My Milspec came this way, as did my McMillan A3. I just needed to use a brass washer to get the swivel stud high enough to attach the swivel. The single biggest benefit in my view is the slack that is built into the legs which enables a more consistent loading of the bipod compared to the Harris. There is no pressure required regardless of the amount the legs are extended and the Atlas enables 3/8" of straight back rearward movement of the barrel upon discharge. Unlike the Harris, loading of the legs can be achieved with the rubber feet on smooth surfaces like a wooden platform. No bounce. I have been able to duplicate my group size and POI using the Atlas whether off a wooden bench or prone on the ground. A big plus! It's very well made, and the quick detach accessory is fast and easy. Out of the box, the the swivel joint and adjustment wheel that enables leveling and side to side movement is very stiff and requires some breaking in and a little spray lube to work well. I just ordered the leg extensions to get the same height as my 9-13" Harris,
required in some shooting situations. The only shortcoming of the Atlas compared to the Harris is needing to depress the buttons to drop the legs. If fast action is required to get into position, it's awkward if you're used to just snapping the legs down on the Harris. Not a big deal though. Just have to practice. I wish I bought one sooner.

My sentiments exactly...

Good to know!

Idaho Sawyer:

While it appears you have gone with the Atlas, others may like to know about other high-end bipods, especially if you are like me and have problems with your hands (older age and arthritus). Suffice it to say, I wanted something along the line of a POD-LOC (KMW the the Harris). The Atlas has no such option - and as one poster mentioned, their website make it look like their product is NOT available.

I have two ELR rifles in build cycle, both of which will be based on XLR tube-gun-style chassis (quite fantastic build quality chassis). Both will have Pic rails and support both shooting from bags (with an XLR plate interface) and from bipod. I have purchased and received the following two bipods:

(1) X-Caliber X-VIP model III w/ LaRue QD adapter, shortened legs, longer "pod handle" & aircraft feet

(2) Long Range Accuracy SC-II F-class model with long legs

...and have another on order (which I expect shortly and have extremely high hopes for...and, it appears, I will be the first to receive one as it was only "introduced" at SHOT in January):

(3) Sierra 7 bipod (with pan and tilt and QD attach)

Each has its advantages, and all are expensive (substantially more). Frankly, after seeing, handling, and reporting on the Sierra 7 at SHOT, I'd wished I'd waited on ordering the other two.

The X-Caliber was purchased because it met my stated needs AND has some very compelling tech, "recoil absorption" - important for one of my rifles, a very heavy hitter. [Yes, it has a "handle" - mine is about 2" long - but, for whatever reason, it is not pictured on their site.]

The LRA was highly recommended by XLR and after talking with Kyle at XLR, I was convinced to give it a try. Excellent build quality, flawless function. [Their site is VERY user-unfriendly with the substantial handle is not even visible.]

Then came SHOT and well, I fell in serious "like" with, the Sierra. I called the designer/company owner from the show floor and told him how much I liked it - and that I wanted to place an order. Apparently I was not the first to contact him, but possibly the first to put my money up. I'm expecting to have it in hand within the next few days. They hyave great pics on the site and the background page is very telling.

All the above to note that there are at least three other bipods out there that folks might find well worth considering.

How much does the Sierra weigh?

In fact, how much do they all weigh? They look pretty heavy, as in way over what the Atlas weighs.

Len:

X-Caliber weights are listed under their respective model photos. The one I ordered/received is probably 40 oz (base model is 49 but I had them shorten the legs, in the process removing two "donuts" from each leg). The associated rifle should come in at about 44#.

LRA - I don't have an appropriate scale to check. They can be reached at [email protected] or contact XLR (Kyle) at [email protected] .

Sierra 7 - as noted, I have yet to receive mine. Even then I won't have the appropriate scale to check. Suggest you contact them at [email protected].

If weight is your primary concern, I'll let the suppliers speak for themselves.

Thanks much. And yes, I am looking for one to replace a Harris.

I would want it to weigh about a pound including quick release hardware.

Len:

Notwithstanding it comes in at 24.7 oz, you might want to consider the CF-LWSS from Star Shooter (Canada) - carbon fiber legs and the balance in aluminum. Plus, for me, triple handles plus a wheel. I may still order one just because they look so super slick. The associated image is here. The prices are in CND and they ship to the US (order the 30 oz model online but you will need to call for the 24.7 oz version, possibly too new).

If you find a functionally excellent bipod, with QD, at or under 16 oz, PLEASE pass the word.

Len:

You are absolutely correct - 12.7 oz for the bipod and QD mount. Add a set of 3" extensions at 1.8 oz, total 14.5 oz. Incredible!

And plenty of implementation photos in their Gallery - including what appears to be a McMillan 50.

Now if they just had handles, rather than the bottom wheel, you'd have my order.

I think you have a winner!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.