Area canines ruin another day of hunting.

I had the same situation last year but we knew the owner. A complaint from someone running cattle and warning that the dogs could be shot and/or he faced a $500/per dog/per incidence, the owner put them behind high fence.

Find out your counties laws. Place anonymous call first.

If you shoot them, burry them and don't tell anyone. If you wound them you might get in a war with the owner

About 25 years ago there were wild dogs that would run deer all night. They made the mistake of tracking me to my stand. Got 2 for certain and 1 ran away yiping. Never heard dogs after that. Hunting got better.

I've had to run off some unknown neighborhood dogs from our chickens and rabbits. The red rider would get rid of them temporarily, but the only semi permanent thing I've found is lighting them up with one of my paintball guns. Seems like people dislike their dogs coming home covered in paint and welts enough to start keeping track of them.

I also built a live trap out of a large airline approved kennel that I've caught a few neighbor dogs in. I built it for foxes originally but it works good for 80lb dogs too lol. That might be a good inexpensive option. You could see if they had tags, and either go see the owner, or drop them off at a shelter if they don't

If the dogs have gone wild, that's one thing. If they are just allowed to run, that's another. I would get the law involved, for your protection. Bullets are difficult to recall once they are on their way.
I know how I feel about my pups. They are family. If one got out and was shot just because, I know how that would end.

If the dogs have gone wild, that's one thing. If they are just allowed to run, that's another. I would get the law involved, for your protection. Bullets are difficult to recall once they are on their way.
I know how I feel about my pups. They are family. If one got out and was shot just because, I know how that would end.

Same here. I know where mine are at all times and that they aren't aggressive towards anything other than strangers on our property, but if one got loose and got shot because of it... Someone would be going to jail.

That's why I built a live trap instead of just using a conibear like I would normally do for the fox. I'd rather not kill some ones poorly behaved pet if it can be avoided

When I had a pasture full of brood mares and foals... Dog owners got one warning then the only question was "who is going to bury them" Its to bad that the dogs take all the blame for this in many instances ... While the worthless owners only cry when their dog doesn't come home....

Dogs chasing wildlife across 160 acres is different than a pooch staying over to a neighbors house. Nothing but a menace. A pet that stresses or kills wildlife until they tire, and then return to a warm house to eat Purina. Where they rest in comfort to prepare for another day of terror.
Where I live, they are legally killed and no one goes to jail. Must have different laws in more civilized areas.

Last edited:
Two years in a row running deer........no......Hell No ! You are confusing these semi- wild dogs with someone's pets. We had the same problem here a few years ago. None of the neighbors knew where they came from, but just put up with their B.S. One day they almost got a little girl getting on a school bus. If they had got there before the bus, they would of got her. They get like street gangs. First chasing deer and cattle till they get the taste of blood. KILL THEM .

A buddy of mine had and has the same situation on similar average. He sends me multiple cellcam pics of deer being run by 3-4 dogs at a time. Pics of dead fawns being drug .... Etc. Started taking care of the problem...9 carcass later he's seeing deer more regular. I'm not sure why people think their irresponsibility has to be your problem. As another replier states you shouldn't shoot, maybe not the 1st time but the 2nd or 3rd it's gone too far.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and experiences! My feelings have run all the way to shoot them to just accepting it's bad luck with irresponsible pet owners. I've reached out to conservation agent assigned to my area for their advice. Thanks again for the responses, they have been very helpful!

I had a neighbor call one time, said my dog was chasing his cows. I couldn't leave work, so I asked him to shoot the dog and I would get the dog later. He wouldn't do it, when I got home the dog got put out with the cows with a shock collar on. He learned.

this happened to me years ago when i was in college, probably 2003 or so. they were wild dogs with no owners that would run all through the woods we hunted. 5 or 6 would run through the area some times. so i shot a few. didnt take long for mother nature to dispose of the carcasses. i probably did them a favor too. people decide they dont want them so they take them somewhere and drop them off and drive away.

on my current hunting property i have the same problem but it's hunters running dogs nearby. i have no hunting signs and purple paint on near the road, but it doesnt matter because the dogs are nearby. the deer arent going to move when they hear a pack of dogs barking a mile or 2 away.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts