We loose more hunting area!!

bigngreen

So opening day here in SW Mt was a very disappointing day for hunters who respect private property!! We lost access to one of the best ranches on Block Land Management because of the conduct of other hunters who lined up on a county road and shot into a herd of elk at random, in this blazing away they shot up a beef cow!

In the area I hunt the land owner has allowed access for as long as I can remember through his property, this year they decided to close one road for a couple weeks the first of the season till cows were out and the big rush cleared out, I happen to know that he was going to open the gate in a couple weeks but some hunters decided to take it upon themselves to cut the chains and tear down the signs and disrespect this guys property. Now access will NEVER be granted again!!

There is precious little great elk hunting left but just as bad as the wolf has been on the elk herd so has disrespectful jack wagons been to our access to hunting, non resident and local alike!!

Where they local boys or no?I would get to know rancher personally if I could. I lost a 55,000 acre place I speed goat hunted because they sold,it sucks to loose great spots like that, that are so hard to find to begin with.

Sorry to hear about your slob hunters. They give us all a bad name. I have a hard time blaming the ranchers for closing their properties given what you have described. Makes it lots harder on the ethical hunter. Guess the best you can do is to try and talk to the landowners and see if you can gain access. Best of luck. Bruce

It is infuriating, and it seems to be everywhere. Strong enforcement is difficult and penalties seem to be pretty lax. Not sure what the solution is other than something needs to change.

Arizona hunters almost lost access to a ranch that takes up half of one of the largest units in the state. Az Game and Fish brokered a deal with the ranch owners and the cattle operation lease holders. The ranch charged $60 per person (tag holder or not) to access their 1162 sq mile ranch. The ranch manager told us there were 60% less hunters this season and we picked up only a bucketful of trash compared to three trash bags last year. No fences cut and no water systems shot up. A success in one way but unless they switched to McDonalds I think elk eat the same thing cattle do and 300 less hunters allow a lot more hungry elk! I am afraid the "pay me to hunt here" will spread in the times to come. Just my take on things in Az.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.